cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: INFOBUS: Keeping it safe in summer

I mostly learnt what I know now through experience or the internet.

Yeah, they sort of think that ebcause they taught us early, it doesn't apply although it is later in high school we actually put the pen to paper so to speak.

Hey ElleBelle! Welcome to our Infobus

Haha, well, some people do use cucumbers. I can only imagine how awkward that would have been for everyone in the room!

How would you describe the sex-ed you got at school? Help...

How would you describe the sex-ed you got at school? Helpful or not? Where else have you learnt about sex and relationships?

I think WHAT we covered was probably comprehensive.. I can't remember much detail really. 

The problem is, it was taught so badly. I don't think many teachers are comfortable enough to do a good job and many probably aren't trained in that part of their job thoroughly. I remember we had a lot of very, very old terrible animated videos and poorly designed worksheets.

Re: How would you describe the sex-ed you got at school? Help...

Hey Leethal,

That's great that you feel like your ed was comprehensive, thanks for contributing!

bethechange: I have to agree with that.. I didn't get any sex-ed after about year 8 I think. You're totally right, late high school is definitely when it's most relevant.

deepbreath: I think it comes down to sex being such a taboo topic. This is something I could rant about for a while but I'll just leave it at that!

ElleBelle: Baaahahaha! That's hilarious. I wonder what it would feel like standing in front of a class of kids talking about masturbation! I think you definitely need the right person for the job but it's something that is really important to discuss! Masturbating leads to discovering so much about yourself sexually!

I would say that every teenager looks forward to highschool bwecause they get to put the 'condom on the banana'. My class never got that experience which is a major part of safe sex in my opinion.

Ellebelle lol
That is a great idea with the anonymous box though, my school appears to have failed at these things. Maybe there is a difference between private and public schools?

Hey guys!

How would you describe the sex-ed you got at school? Helpful or not? Where else have you learnt about sex and relationships?

I had sex-ed in grade 7 (primary school where I live), and it was actually pretty helpful in that it taught us what it was, how it happened, etc. At a catholic school, though, they didn't really stray too far from the facts - so there was nothing about protection and consent. That kind of stuff I learnt more from my mum and through experiences/chats with friends. 

It came up that consent was never really discussed in any of the sex-ed we received at school, so I'd really like to lead the discussion down that path. So I'm curious to know...

Did anyone ever teach you what consent means? What does consent mean to you?

Hi Everyone!

I remember doing sex ed in science in year 9. It was mostly anatomical, and covered all the risks associated with sex. I remember our teacher was very blunt and she was talking to us about using dentl dams for oral sex. She said, "These are good to use for oral sex for hygiene reasons, although I would hope you would all be having a good shower before engaging in anything like that"

Having done a bit of reasearch about sexuality education, I found that pleasure is the main topic that was exluded in australian classrooms:

"When surveying sexuality educators in Australia, Smith et al. (2011) found that “The only topic covered by less than 50 percent of teachers in the survey was ‘the pleasure of sexual behaviour/activity’.” (p. 21) "