cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: INFOBUS: Keeping it safe in summer

Ali818 - Our classroom stank of mint for days! 

..Did anyone else have the terrifying plastic bananas that.. Well, weren't really bananas?

Leethal: We have some for the Outreach that we sometimes do at schools. One got stolen one time... I hope it's being put to safe and positive use...

Did anyone ever teach you what consent means? What does consent mean to you?

Here's a RO factsheet on consent -
http://au.reachout.com/What-is-sexual-consent

I really, really wish consent was a priority on the sex ed agenda. Particularly in relation to being drunk.

Highlighted

Hi LicheeMerlin!

Dental dams are also really useful to prevent the sharing of any STI's that a person might have (like herpes) not just for hygeine. *Sometimes a shower just isn't convenient!* Haha

Haha deepbreath, I can't believe someone stole it! Smiley Tongue 

It's a shame, at my school they never did the 'banana' thing, they didn't teach us anything about all that. I think they're fairly simple to use, but because we never had that class I don't know too much about other kinds of physical protection...

Leethal: I actually lol'd at that! Minty freshness??

Those bananas are awesome!

I didn't find out what consent was until after I started uni. The first time someone told me that you CAN'T under any circumstances consent to having sex when you're under the influence of drugs/alcohol I was a bit taken aback! But it's something that definitely needs more discussing. I've told so many people about the laws revolving consent and no one has known any of them!

Welcome to the discussion LicheeMerlin!
You bring up some interesting points there, I suppose pleasure is the driver (in some cases) and it's what needs to be controlled to ensure we're having safe-sex. I suppose schools avoid it because they think everyone will be like "awesome sex is pleasurable lets get out there and see what it's all about" and parents will be all over them. Unfortunately, the education then lacks the whole truth.

ElleBelle: It is really important, and you're not alone in your opinion. Did you watch that vid I first posted in the intro? That's got good info re:consent and alcohol

Deepbreath - I suppose some kid wasn't so happy with those cucumbers!

While I'm here..

Did anyone ever teach you what consent means? What does consent mean to you?

I can't really remember much detail so I'm guessing a bit here.. But I think it was covered well enough in the legal sense (age etc.) and I'm pretty sure SOMETHING about 'it's ok to say no'. As for me? Not so good at putting definitions into words haha. I'll get back to you on that if I can Smiley Tongue