cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: INFOBUS: Moving beyond self injury & other destructive behaviours

“Where is the line between a bad habit and self-injury?”

I think self injury is done with more intent to harm and rid oneself of the feelings or memories. Tho I think self injury canalso turn into a habit.
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

Hey stonepixie! Thanks for joining us.... Thats an interesting perspective... I think self injury could still be things that dont have the potential to end your life... Like scratching etc.... But I know what you mean that it helps defining the difference...

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Hi myvo.... i agree that it is hard to define the difference...

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Hi stonepixie! Thanks for your response. I think that is an extremely important point. As a psychologist I guess I would go even further and say that self-injury is about any direct and deliberate harm. But certainly lethality is a critical point.

Hey redhead... that makes lots of sense to me actually, that the difference is in the intent behind it... glad you could join us tonight

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

yes, self-injury can become a habit if used alot, a person can start to use it almost automatically when feeling only a little bit of discomfort, whereas in the beginning it may have been in response to big upsets

Hey @redhead . Thanks for joining us here tonight! Hm,  hadn't thought about that before!  Self-injury can turn into a habit too and yes, it does seem that a lot of that stems from how we're feeling. 

I guess so. I mean, some websites suggest less extreme self-injury techniques in replace of the ones that can be lethal. But I feel that the only way to stop self-injury is to address the underlying issue.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

And thats because self injury works! Unfortunately it has consequences that most people don't want...
Highlighted

I wasn't aware that such small things were considered as self injury..this is a bit concerning