cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: INFOBUS: Moving beyond self injury & other destructive behaviours

Many people at some point in their life have coped with difficult or painful emotions by doing self-destructive things (self-injury, eating disorders, drug and alcohol use etc). Even though these ways of coping feel good in the short term, they usually make the situation worse in the long run! Have you ever coped by doing self-destructive things? Or do you know others who have?

Hello everyone Smiley Happy

Where is the line between a bad habit and self-injury?
I never really thought about this, and don't have an answer, but I agree with what's already been said.

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

Welcome SJG! Yes it can be confronting to realise that small things like scratching are defined as self-injury. DId you want to say something more SJG?

Hey @Bee . No worries! It's also a question that I haven't put a lot of thought into before either. It's great to see what everyone's perspectives are on finding out the differences between the two. 

Welcome Bee!

@stonepixie wrote:
I guess so. I mean, some websites suggest less extreme self-injury techniques in replace of the ones that can be lethal. But I feel that the only way to stop self-injury is to address the underlying issue.

Totally agree. The less extreme techniques like rubber band on the wrist are still self injury and are not enough on their own... Totally agree that the underlying issue needs to address...

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Have you ever coped by doing self-destructive things? Or do you know others who have?

I would have to say yes, although I am not proud of it. I also know of a few others that have done it as well.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ
Highlighted

I think for me, self destructive behaviours make me feel like a have some control over my emotions, even if they are bad ones. Definitely not a healthy perspective to have and in the long run they make the situation/emotions worse. They can be slow habits to change also

I agree stonepixie

Hi SJG thanks for joining us.... I think it can be concerning that the smaller things are considered self injury, but it's about the intent as well - if you are doing it to deal with painful feelings....

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com