cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: INFOBUS: Moving beyond self injury & other destructive behaviours

I agree @redhead exercise helps me a lot as long as I can force myself to actually do it!

What are some healthy behaviours you could do to cope with difficult or painful emotions instead of using self-destructive behaviours?

Removing yourself from the situation i.e. moving to a different room

Journaling your emotions.

Drawing.

Just distracting yourself in general.

Telling yourself to wait x amount of time.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

I do not wish to sound like a know it all, but

From watching a child self harm, his behaviour was not going to kill him.

It wasnt a bad habbit it was purely the inability to get what was inside of him out into words.

The part as parents we worried about was when does this become more destructive

Painful to watch a child completely melt down.

@ stonepixie drawing is also one of my favourite tools I use to distract myself and helps me feel like I have achieved something if I'm finding other tasks too daunting

Leading on from the last question about healthier coping strategies... One healthy way of coping with difficult or painful emotions is to ask for help. Do you find it easy or hard to ask for help?

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

@SarahS wrote:

This discussion has been great so far! Lets talk about alternative responses (ie instead of self-harm) when faced with upsetting feelings, thoughts, situations....

Next Question: What are some healthy behaviours you could do to cope with difficult or painful emotions instead of using self-destructive behaviours?

One of the strategies I teach to my patients is self-soothing. It is often very difficult though, because many patient don't feel as though they deserve to be soothed, and/or they feel angry that others are not doing the soothing for them. But it can be an extremely helpful strategy and helps build more compassion for yourself.

@SarahS wrote:

I'm very impressed that you are so insightful as to your early warning signs!!

Thank you Sarah! It took a while. Trial and error. I also had the help of KHL to get past the self-injury and work on some of the issues behind it.

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

What are some healthy behaviours you could do to cope with difficult or painful emotions instead of using self-destructive behaviours?

The three main things that I find that works for me are:

- Modelling clay (or play-dough), I make things out of it. And sometimes I destroy the modelling clay instead of harming myself.

- Journalling, I have numerous journals. Art journal - I stick things into it or paint stuff or draw, anything that I am feeling. Written journal - to get my feelings out.

- Recovery journal, I have a binder folder with a bunch of different sections. Anything from reasons for recovery to a happiness list and funny memories. I pull it out when I am feeling low and spend time either just looking through it or adding to it.

do you find it easy or hard to ask for help?

I find it hard. But I'm learning to ask for help when I need it now. I have a great mental health casemanager, or I can go to the staff where I live. I'm slowly getting better at asking for help.
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

@SarahS I agree, I've learnt some self compassion techniques through uni and although they seem strange at first (it can be difficult to be so kind to yourself) they are actually really beneficial.. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it