cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: INFOBUS: Reaching Out to a Professional

@graphiqual, it did take me a little while to get 'comfortable'. Though I think that had a lot to do with me being okay about talking about myself to a complete stranger.

Thanks so much for that answer, Rebecca. I know I have had a fair number of health professionals that I haven't liked - especially initially. But sometimes, after a few sessions with them I find that I get along much better but some I just haven't liked at all and so I have tried someone else. Smiley Happy I am having the same problem with physiotherapists at the moment too! So it happens with all health professionals!

Welcome graphiqual. Smiley Happy Totally agree with the professional approach. I think being young, it helps to have someone who is young orientated! I don't just want to sit there and talk about clinical stuff (e.g. symptoms, behaviours), I want the sessions to be fun too! Smiley Happy

I've spoken to most of the above. 

My current psychatrist is amazing because he jokes with you and he takes the time to get to know you as a person not just a client! He is also really understanding if I feel something is not working for me in our relationship and will work towards making it work better! Smiley Happy I really liked my school counsellor too because she was really cool - and we didn't just talk. She had cool cards and stuff! I like learning stuff about my health professionals too - if they are going to know stuff about me I feel like I have a right to know about them! So I know my psychiatrist has a great dane dog and I know what primary school he went to and some of his hobbies. Smiley Happy It's just those little things that help you feel more comfortable - obviously I don't need to (or want to) know his home address or anything like that but just some other "personal" things to make you feel more connected. Smiley Happy

Basically, I really don't like boring people! 

Wow two totally different experiences from both of you.

sagira - what was the very first appointment a year ago with that psychologist like? Were you nervous?

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

@_sagira_
wow that's a really posi experience. it really goes a long way when counsellors are able to go that extra mile for you like yours did

@MM I agree, it's nice to learn a bit about them as well. I find therapy difficult sometimes, because I'm not used to focusing on just me. I always put other people first. So it's been an adjustment.

Welcome sagira! Smiley Happy

It's really great that you have found someone really great! And for your first try too! That's amazing! Smiley Happy For many people it can take a while to find the one who "clicks" - but that's totally cool!

I also believe that we can vary in what approach we like best - so for instance, I don't find psychologists helpful but I find the way psychiatrists approach things is more suited to my needs so see who works for you (and I'm not saying a psychologist won't work for you!)! (And it's so ironic that I am studying psychology but I don't find psychologists helpful - maybe it's because I KNOW what they are trying to do. Smiley Tongue)

@Sophie-RO wrote:
Wow two totally different experiences from both of you.

sagira - what was the very first appointment a year ago with that psychologist like? Were you nervous?

I was absolutely PACKING MYSELF!

She was really lovely, soft and welcoming though.  She didn't push or anything.  It was basically me talking a million miles an hour.  She says I've really slowed down and relaxed since then.  And it's true...I'm on a completely different level.  It's weird to look back and to think I dealt with everything by myself for so long.

Highlighted

@mischiefmanaged

good point! it makes so much difference when professionals are 'human' like making a joke, admitting they don't know all the answers and agreeing to look stuff up, sharing opinions and ideas on day to day stuff like cute pets, tv, or movies

Great answers so far guys! Smiley Happy 

Lets add another question to the mix!

What are you thinking about before a first contact/ session with a professional? Is there any things that are worrying you or even stopping you going?

@MM - that sounds so great to have a psychiatrist who jokes around and is more "human" haha... I definitely found that I worked better with my psychologist when it got to the point that I felt I could joke around a bit.