cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: INFOBUS: Reaching Out to a Professional

mischiefmanaged wrote 

What are you thinking about before a first contact/ session with a professional? Is there any things that are worrying you or even stopping you going?

For example - sagira, what was making you 'pack it'!!!??

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Have you ever talked to a professional like a youth worker, school counsellor, psychologist? Or have you talked to a GP about mental health issues? What did you like/dislike?

Yeah I've spoken to a couple of different counsellors and psychologist. I like the way my psychologist works, but I didn't connect with either of the counsellors. With the counsellors I think they were focused on moving me towards an outcome that they had determined was good for me, but weren't actually listening to how I felt. My psychologist is more collaborative and always makes a big deal of the progress I make, which is nce for me because my family don't really. She helps me see the good things more easily and where my thinking patterns are not so helpful. My GP is a wonderful GP usually, but not so good on mental health stuff. He has said to me in the past that there is a lot of paperwork and refused me an extended referral for this reason. The last time I went he was sort of saying to me that I need to start winding up my psychology visits because I've been going for a couple of years now, but I'm currently having a period of pretty bad relapse so that just made me feel a bit unsupported.

Here's the second question that was submitted earlier in the week, it kinda relates to the second question we're about to discuss

I think I'm getting worse. The world seems a dark scary place, and my thoughts only exaggerate this. I need to see someone, though I'm too scared. I don't know how to verbalise it, or how to even accept it. I also don't want anyone else to know about it. I want it kept secret. How can I do this?

You should be really proud reaching out to us through this question. The first step is really hard so you were smart test it out by using this anonymous Q&A. I also want to reassure you that even though you say you don’t know how to verbalise it - you’re doing a really great job of articulating yourself so far.

This is really good practise for when you’re ready to someone, and it sounds like it might be helpful to take small steps towards help like sending an email with what’s on your mind to the counsellors at www.eheadspace.org.au or even web-chat. Kids Helpline also have email and webchat.

As for keeping it secret – almost every service that you are going to talk is bound by confidentiality laws to protect your privacy. Any professional will talk to you about their confidentiality policy before you talk to them about whats on your mind.

Were impressed you’ve taken this step, keep on reaching out.  

What are you thinking about before a first contact/ session with a professional? Is there any things that are worrying you or even stopping you going?

Well the very first time I went to see a professional, my school counsellor at the time, I was 13 and BEYOND NERVOUS. Pretty much just because I didn't know what to expect, and I was a terrible at talking when I was 13. 

Since then, every time I've started with someone new, the first time is still always nerve-racking, because I'm wondering what they'll be like, and whether or not I'll like them or be able to connect with them. 

Have you ever talked to a professional like a youth worker, school counsellor, psychologist? Or have you talked to a GP about mental health issues? What did you like/dislike?

I've been to quite a few different types of people - psychiatrist, psychologist, social worker, school counsellor...

There were a few main things I really disliked - when they talk down to you as though you wouldn't actually understand what they're saying, this predominately happens on the first sessions; the almost complete lack of communication between the different people I'd see, when I saw a new person they weren't at all sure on what had gone on in my previous sessions; they didn't really follow through properly, there wasn't a real structure or surety on what we were doing; I always felt like they saw me like there was something bad/wrong/different about me, it would have made me feel a lot more comfortable and okay to tell them about things if I really believed they understand what was going on.

Of course not all of these things were present with everyone I saw.

The main thing I like was when they were able to explain what was going on for me with me mum and when they were helping me realise why I was feeling/thinking the way I was, and I did (mostly) feel like they cared about what was happening for me, wanting to help.

I was always a mix of curiosity, annoyance, worry, arrogance and hope. I always went, the main thing before the first session was wondering about what they would be like, how scary they would be and what we were going to do.

Highlighted

@dd

whoah, really good insights you've got into the process there! It can often be just as hard to finish up with a professional as it can to start up.
it is a very different kind of strength and courage you use

Hello everyone Smiley Happy
THought I'd join in tonight

I've only talked to school counsellors face to face - otherwise I've talked to KHL and Eheadspace.
One of the school counsellors was really great, she used to tell me stories and relate what I going through to something she had been through and conquored. It gave me a sense of knowing it's possible to overcome. She used to always ask me what nice thing I was going to do for myself whenever she saw me - it didn't matter if it was in her office, in passing, down the street, if I wasn't looking so great she'd ask and tell me I had to do something nice for myself. She also had a wicked sense of humor and loved to laugh, so of course there was lots of funny stories and just little things that got me laughing, which helped to break the ice a lot! Unfortunately though her placement didn't last long, and she was back teaching after a couple of months as cousnellor.
The next school counsellor I already knew from primary school, and didn't really like very much. I guess I had heard too mnay bad stories about her. I tried her anyway. I found that I still didn't click. And after a few times trying, I just kind of gave up and relied again on online services. I found her to be a bit pushy towards getting a diagnosis and I didn't feel as though I was just able to come and talk when I was having a crappy day and not feeling so great.

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

The most common thoughts I have are

What if they think I'm not 'bad enough' to be here?

I shouldn't be here

I'm just wasting their time, I should be able to cope with this on my own

What if we don't get on?

What if they don't listen to me?

What if they don't understand how I'm feeling?

They don't usually stop me from going once I've made an appointment, but they have stopped me making one in the first place in the past.

Welcome dedicatedreamer - sorry to hear you are going through a relapse. I think it's really important to be open with our health professionals about the level of support we require at that point in time. For example, I was feeling really bad but I didn't really express it very well to my psychiatrist so he said that I could make an appointment for a month's time, but I said that was too long and he was totally okay with that. So it's important to stand up for what you need! Smiley Happy

I don't think the nerves when seeing a new health professional ever go away. I was even nervous about seeing my new physio recently! It's okay to be nervous and it's okay to tell them you are nervous (they probably expect it anyway!). Smiley Happy

@dd - the "what if I'm not 'bad enough' to be here" is definitely something I used to always think as well