cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: INFOBUS: Reaching Out to a Professional

@Twenty10 wrote:
@dd

whoah, really good insights you've got into the process there! It can often be just as hard to finish up with a professional as it can to start up.
it is a very different kind of strength and courage you use

Thanks. I'm realising that. Knowing when is the right time and how to end is very difficult, but I'll get there Smiley Happy

Hey Bee Thanks so much for coming along and sharing your stories about school counsellors... so great you joined us - just like old times! Smiley Happy

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Wow, birdeye, so insightful about your experiences and i think we can learn a lot from what you've noticed about your interactions with professionals. I think a lot of people might experience things like this but perhaps find it difficult to articulate so thinks for sharing your thoughts with everyone.

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

@mischiefmanaged wrote:

I like learning stuff about my health professionals too - if they are going to know stuff about me I feel like I have a right to know about them! ... It's just those little things that help you feel more comfortable - obviously I don't need to (or want to) know his home address or anything like that but just some other "personal" things to make you feel more connected. Smiley Happy

Basically, I really don't like boring people! 

I like what you've said here MM, I like it when you can get to know the professional aswell, it certainly makes it a lot easier tot alk to them. And you can then understand a bit more of what they are suggesting and where they are comming from, I found that with one school counsellor.

I love how you're school counsellor had cards and stuff. The one I got along with had all sorts of things... She had this cupboard full of toys, and everytime I saw her, she was pulling yet another toy out of her handback, taking it out of the packaging and putting it into the cupboard after trying to get me to play with it... haha

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

Hey Birdeye and Bee - thanks for coming along and sharing your experiences! Smiley Happy

I totally get the "talking down to you" - I've always hated that too! I had a few health professionals treat me that way especially when I was still in high school.

And totally get the "I am not bad enough to be here" kind of thought - but really ANYONE can see a psychologist or health professional! Smiley Happy
Highlighted

@Birdeye

you're right hey, when you see more than one professional, it makes a big difference if they can all talk to one another about all the supports you're getting so everyone, esp you, knows whats going on.

its good to hear that one of the things you got from it was to learn from some of the explanations they have you

you list a great combo of emotions about your thoughts around your first contact

@DD: that is such a common concern : "am i bad enough to be here"! One of the anonymous questions submitted this week was all about this and we have a great answer about it coming up from Rebecca

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

@DD your post ties in really well with the 3rd question that was submitted to us:

How do you know your problem is worthy of the professional's time? How do you deal with waiting (in my regional town there's a wait of 5 months+ for a mental health assessment so the courage you had when you originally went to the gp and got a referral may well have disappeared by the time the appointment comes around)?

If you identify a problem that is important enough for you to seek someone out to talk to about it - that means that it’s worthy of the time. If something is affecting the way you are in the world, the way you cope with things, then it’s important to talk with someone about it. Most professionals are patient and are trained to listen well and be non-judgemental.

As for courage – you are right there is the initial courage to make contact, and then to keep the courage up until the appointment comes around. But in the meantime there are great things you are already doing that can keep your motivation and courage up like being linked in with ReachOut. You could also think about making links with other services that may be able to support and/or connect with you around other things in your life (i.e.your likes and interests) both in town, or online.

So the next question is leading on from that -
What do people expect and want from health professionals? Can you describe your ideal appointment or chat with a professional? (It’s great to be clear about what you want - if you can)

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

@dd
its hard to say goodbye sometimes. perhaps its good to know, speaking as 'professional', its hard for us to say goodbye too. we get to know our clients so well and feel all kinds of proud moments seeing them process, grow and make change