cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: INFOBUS: Reaching Out to a Professional

What do people expect and want from health professionals? Can you describe your ideal appointment or chat with a professional? (It’s great to be clear about what you want - if you can)

I don't think I've ever really been sure what I wanted to get out of seeing a professional... It's mostly just to have a place to talk about what's going on for me, and to have someone who can support me and give me ways to get through it. 

My ideal appointment would be one where I've been able to talk openly about how I'm feeling, and where the psychologist has listened and understood, and helped me through it. 

In regards to Q3 and how do you keep the courage alive... I had quite a long wait till I saw a GP once about MH problems and I was so terrified of this happening. What helped me was that I told a friend (well someone who I really admired) that I had made the appointment and so she kept on my back about it. She also text me the whole time I was driving to the appointment making sure I was okay, and rung me when I arrived to make sure I was still okay and then rung me again after I had the appointment. It was great to have that support. Smiley Happy It'd be even better if you could take the friend along with you (unfortunately she lived in another state). Smiley Happy

Don't quite know what happened to my post there!!?

SO...I was packing myself in the first session as I felt like my problems seemed futile and petty.  Like I was making a big deal out of nothing and blowing it all out of proportion and that really I was fine.

But what made me even call to make an appointment in the first place was because I had reached my absolute limit of being able to deal with things on my own. I didn't have the energy anymore.

@Sophie: Smiley Happy Old times, yes. I'm struggling to keep up tonight, my net is playing up... and if I'm be honest I'm struggling a bit to keep up with it all, the thread moves so fast!

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

What do people expect and want from health professionals? Can you describe your ideal appointment or chat with a professional? (It’s great to be clear about what you want - if you can)

Generally, I like it when we start off the appointment with some "less" serious stuff - helps ease me in. And then slowly we work our way up to more serious stuff. That's generally how my appointments with my psychiatrist occur. Smiley Happy And then at the end we go back to light-hearted stuff so I don't feel so bad when I leave the appointment! Smiley Happy

@Bee
me too! you're not the only one Smiley Happy

This conversation is great guys! Thanks so much for coming along! Sorry that it's moving quite quick too, but you are all so knowledgeable and have so much to add!

What ideas do people have for breaking the ice with a professional? What can you do to make those first few seconds and the minutes that follow as comfortable as possible?

What are you thinking about before a first contact/ session with a professional? Is there any things that are worrying you or even stopping you going?
The first time I chose to see the school counsellor, letting her know I wanted to talk to her at x time was fairly easy. THough actually following through was hard. I was so close to backing out and not following through, but because she had taught me before she knew me a bit, and encourged me to stay at school and come back once she was free. She kind of guilted me into staying by saying "but I want to talk to you" and I kind of stayed for that reason. THough I was intensely nervous and had no idea what I was doing. I was a silent shaking wreck, the only words she really got out of me were 'hmm' "no" yeah' and shrugs and shaking my head....
I don't really know if there was anything stopping me... I can't remember.

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

I'm really looking forward to your answers on this one - how make those first few seconds and the minutes that follow as comfortable as possible?  We can make a big list for people to use!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Highlighted

@MM

its so useful right, to be able to start with some general stuff, to warm up, and then to leave by doing some more 'everyday' chatting to get you used to being back in the world again after being in the 'safe' bubble you just created to talk about some often hard stuff