cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: INFOBUS: Reaching Out to a Professional

How do you start the conversation when asked what is wrong? When you've 'bottled it up" for so long!

An example that really stands out in my memory is once when I just started seeing a new psychologist during a time when I had some really complicated stuff happening with friends. And I mean, it was REALLY complicated, and being someone who doesn't like talking in general, I found it really daunting to have to explain this whole situation to someone who was outside the situation, and also someone I didn't realy know. 

So basically, I wrote the whole thing out, beginning to end... And after taking almost a whole session to summon up the courage, I read it out to her. It was easier to keep going once I started, but there were moments when I sort of had to keep saying to myself, "these are just words, just say the words, just keep reading out the words", in order to distance myself emotionally for a bit just so I could keep going. 

@Twenty10 wrote:
@_sagira_

good point! its really important to factor in time after your apt to process what just went on and re-enter the world at large.
its great to, just as that great school counselor who was mentioned before, decide 'what nice thing you're going to do for yourself' after you leave

Oh yeah, she's always making a concerted effort to tell me to go do something relaxing and something for myself.  Because I'm not very good at it.

Okayyy next question guys!!!

What can services/professionals do to make it easier for you to access them? What would make the process of booking an appointment or getting started easier?

@MM

Do you have any experience making sure your letters to your psych to help you open up, stay constructive and don't turn into just venting sessions?

@mischiefmanaged wrote:
Ah sagira - TOTALLY know that feeling... RE: feeling worse after session. That's why I always treat myself to something after the session - generally a hot chocolate. Smiley Happy
I do still find that after particularly hard appointments I can feel MUCH worse, but that's okay, it just means that we are working on some tough things and they need to be worked on!

Yes, very true.  I've gotten better around the 'timing' of them.  Cos you kind of need to debrief with yourself.  I often e-mail my therapist in the evening after my session to elaborate on things that I may have not been able to say allowed.  And she's appreciative of that.  Probably not the most practical way to work, but I need to self reflect a lot too.

Highlighted

@Twenty10 wrote:
@MM

Do you have any experience making sure your letters to your psych to help you open up, stay constructive and don't turn into just venting sessions?

@_sagira_

Any ideas too?

What can services/professionals do to make it easier for you to access them? What would make the process of booking an appointment or getting started easier?

I've actually no idea, but I've always found it really difficult to pick up the phone and make an appointment. Actually, now I think about it, I've never picked up the phone to make an appointment, someone's always made the appointment for me (my mum, or my teacher...) 

But I like how services such as KHL can be accessed so easily online. 

I think for a lot of people it comes down to cost factor.  Luckily I can access the free uni service.  Had I not gone to uni...I doubt I would have done anything about everything that I had been going through over the past 8 years.  It was the ease and availability of it that worked for me. 

I think often they ARE venting sessions but I think that's okay. He has a fun time highlighting the important stuff (I believe excessive highlighting is the result of too many years of med school!). I think it's important for him to see what is going on in my head. So I generally write down what I am thinking and how this is making me feel. And yep, sometimes that is venting, but most of the time I try to make it constructive.

I don't know. I've never really thought of them as venting but really, we all need a good vent every now and again!

@Twenty10 wrote:

@Twenty10 wrote:
@MM

@_sagira_

Any ideas too?

I'm very self reflective and often discuss where I believe something in particular is stemming from and why I may be reacting the way I am.  And if I do whinge about something, I acknowledge within the e-mail that I am (but that's not often)  I also tell her so she's aware, I can get it off my chest and she knows what we could cover in our next session.