cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: INFOBUS: Reaching Out to a Professional

What can services/professionals do to make it easier for you to access them? What would make the process of booking an appointment or getting started easier?

Keeping costs down would be ideal but I know that's much easier said than done with the govt funding schemes and what not. It would be good if you could book appointments online maybe if people were too scared to call? It would be good if more places had websites too so you can do a bit of 'research' before you decide on a place.

@_sagira_: Yeah, I agree that's a good way to go when you don't know where to start Smiley Happy

What stops people from going back? What can a professional do at the end to make you want to come back?

I never had this problem, I always went back (even when I didn't like them!). I think at the vey beginning of the first session, or before the session, it would be good for there to be information given on how it's okay to try someone else and explaining the different types of people they could see. Even a flyer with a few testimonies about trying a few different people.

At the end of sessions I think it's good to be able to give a little idea on what may be focused on next session, and setting things to work on until then.

Having a way to contact them between sessions, and perhaps a follow up phone call or email. It doesn't have to be long, just as a reminder that they care about what's going on and want to help/check-up.

so, this is the final question that was submitted to us this week, does anyone have any final thoughts on this?

Last time i saw the school counsellor she pushed me to go see a doctor and caused a mess at home. How can i get her support without her pushing me to see a doctor? I just need someone to talk to!

School counsellors are bound by their duty of care to you. Your school counsellor should have the guidelines they adhere to available to you so make sure you read them before you go. The other thing is that sometimes different workers will refer you on to another professional because it is beyond them and someone else could give you better help. So in the case of sexual health and self harm – for example – a school counsellor will strongly encourage you to see a doctor.

Do your best to articulate your concerns to professionals (e.g. my parents will flip out at this and kick me out) so that they understand what is going on for you. You can also arrange and access your own Medicare card to see drs on your own. Here is the link to the Law Stuff page http://www.lawstuff.org.au/nsw_law/topics/medical that gives more info on how to go about doing that

If you wanted to, you could call Kids Helpline for someone to talk to about anything – 1800 55 1800.

I don't know, I have never had a problem calling and making an appointment.  Maybe the first time I was a but anxious about it.  Maybe it has something to do with the fact I was a recepetionist for an ophthalmologist and I treated it like I was making an appointment for someone else.

What stops people from going back? What can a professional do at the end to make you want to come back?

• topics of discussion too hard
  • how much therapy is actually helping
  • if people don't like or get on with their therapist
  • are too anxious to go
  • people don't like their therapists methods

I had a psychiatrist once who I definitely did not go back to (after a couple of sessions) because she made me feel like there was something wrong with me and I felt like she was just laying out the things I needed to change about my behaviour and the way I treated people, like she was just criticizing me. I hated that I always came out of it feeling like I'd just been talked to like a small child who was being told off for misbehaving. 

Someone who makes me want to go back is someone who I feel comfortable and welcome around, like they're truly interested in me, they listen to me and want to help me. 

I still remember my first appointment with my current psychiatrist very clearly and ONE thing that REALLY helped me make up my mind as to whether I would go back or not was that he was really open with me. I remember him telling me that if I didn't think it would work with him, then that was completely okay and he could refer me on to someone else. I like that he didn't just assume I would come back. I like that he also made it clear what direction he wanted to go in. So he set out a plan... "this is what we want to achieve, this is what I think will help and this is what we can work on together". But also made it clear that if I wanted to do something different then that was cool now! And this is also what has kept me going back - he is open to what I WANT to do and will support me in my choices. Smiley Happy

I also like it when they admit they are human and ask for feedback!

Highlighted

So tonight we have shared heaps of ideas and experiences about reaching out to a professional - . There were lots of things that we all had in common and it was really great to hear all the practical tips that everyone had to share to help we get through these uneasy situations.

It was really awesome to get the 5 anonymous questions throughout the week so thanks to Rebecca for answering the questions and to you all for adding in your thoughts as well.

Tonight’s session was so awesome – we’re going to use it as a basis for a new factsheet that will go up on the site soon. It’s time to wrap it up now, so I really want to thank all of you  for your contributions including our guest Rebecca! Do any of you have any final words of wisdom? There has been some pearlers tonight already!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

@graphiqual

you're right, it goes a long, long way when someone makes you feel welcome
simple. effective.

Being too anxious and feeling like the person isn't supportive or understanding have been things that have made me not go back/ not want to go back. I think the professional shouldn't push too hard in the first session so you don't feel overwhelmed and not want to go back. I also think it's important that they let you know that it'll take a few sessions to get used the session so not be discouraged if you don't see a difference straightaway and to keep persevering. And most importantly they should do something to make you feel like they value that you've come to see them (i.e. they might say that it was great that you came because it must have been very hard to do)... Not really sure if I'm making sense with that or not.

@graphiqual: I've searched up so many people/services/programs I've been to and only found anything on one of the people. Annoyed me greatly!

@mischiefmanaged: I like that he said that to you, whenever I've had someone speak to me about coming back or seeing someone else it was always at the end of the session and they would simply ask if I would be there next session, usually after already assuming that I just would be. I can't just say no when they ask directly.