cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: INFOBUS: Reaching Out to a Professional

My "words of wisdom" -
If nothing changes, then nothing changes. In order to see a difference in your current situation, you have to make some sort of change! Smiley Very Happy

Rebecca - I had a similar situation with my school counsellor to the young person who submitted that question. She encouraged me to talk to my mum about what was going on but eventually I got her to ring my mum up and talk to her about it. Smiley Happy She also spoke to her about letting me go to the doctor by myself as mum always wanted to go to the doctors with me. So that was useful. It was tough but it was an important part in me getting the help I needed!

At the end of the day you will lose nothing from seeing a therapist; but could gain everything.

Twenty10 wrote:>@birdeye
if you're unsure what the person wants from the question they're asking, get them to clarify!

I know that I should have just asked, but at the time I'm so worried about being there, what's going to happen and what the reaction to that question will be that I'd rather take a guess, say 'I don't know' or be really broad than ask them to clarify as I felt like asking them to clarify such a simple question would make me appear stupid. 

i love that phrase too graphiqual!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

MM: It sounds like your psychiatrist is really open about where he sees things going and collaborates with you on what you guys are doing which is fab Smiley Happy

This has been a really insightful discussion tonight, thanks everyone! I love that so many people utilised the anon questions too! It was great to hear (read, lol) the answers. Thanks Rebecca for joining us tonight and the fabulous MM and Sophie for faciliating. Good night all! Smiley Happy

well thank you everyone for tonight. You're all superstars, honestly.

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

@DD
making sense!

Sorry I'm late! I'm just going to really briefly answer the questions so far Smiley Happy

Have you ever talked to a professional like a youth worker, school counsellor, psychologist? Or have you talked to a GP about mental health issues? What did you like/dislike?

GP, psychologist, psychiatrist, school counsellor, uni disability services, case manager - all of these. I like when professionals acknowledge that my mental health issues don't define me and are only a tiny part of my whole self, and don't necessarily inform my capabilities or desires.

What are you thinking about before a first contact/ session with a professional? Is there any things that are worrying you or even stopping you going?

I always have a list of what I need to talk about, otherwise I just end up beating around the bush and never getting to what is important. I worry that they'll undermine my ability to cope with my issues - for me mental health issues have had a long standing presence in my life and I worry that people will tell me that I'm not able to do the things that I want to, or that I should compromise my goals.

What do people expect and want from health professionals? Can you describe your ideal appointment or chat with a professional? (It’s great to be clear about what you want - if you can)

I expect to be treated as any human being should. I want to be respected and spoken to as an adult (or when I wasn't an adult, I expected to be spoken to as someone who is reasonably mature). Being spoken down to due to having mental health issues is a huge no-go for me. I like someone who relates to me on the same level, and treats my perception of my mental health as just as valid as theirs, even though they're the ones with credentials.

What ideas do people have for breaking the ice with a professional? What can you do to make those first few seconds and the minutes that follow as comfortable as possible?

Start off talking about something less serious - everyday chat is always good. It lets you get a bit of a feeling for what the person you're talking to is like, whether you feel comfortable with them, etc. Talk about what you're interested in, what you do with your time, what you're working/studying to do, what your friends are like... 

What can services/professionals do to make it easier for you to access them? What would make the process of booking an appointment or getting started easier?

It would be amazing if there were an online registry of ALL mental health professionals, what their interests/specialities are, and with a bit of a bio from them about how they work. It's so hard to work out who is the right professional for you, and I think it'd be much easier if it were (more readily) possible to get some information about who you're investing your time in prior to appointments. I also think things like factsheets about seeing professionals for the first time are really helpful - it can be incredibly intimidating and it's helpful to have a bit of an idea what to expect.

Ahhh just got in before the goodnights. Goodnight everyone!