cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

INFOBUS: Suicide: overcoming the myths

Not many people know that suicide as the leading cause of death for young people. This tragedy is a huge issue in Australian society, but one we find so difficult to talk about.

Is it the stigma that surrounds suicide? Or people just not knowing what to say? Fear that 'I might make it worse'? Maybe it's the feeling of helplessness and 'what can I do'?  Keeping silent about suicide is an easy trap to fall into - and it doesn't help solve this problem which continues to impact our worlds. 

The good news is: we can all play a part in suicide prevention. Suicide Prevention Australia says that we can reduce the stigma of suicide by having open discussions which increase our shared understanding. They say it's important that the whole of the community know that they can become involved in its prevention and improve the lives of those affected".

Basically, this means that everyone - every single person - plays a role in reducing suicide in our society. Now, that might be a scary thought and feel like a big responsibility, but with a bit of understanding about suicide, the way you live your life can make an incredible difference to others.

Which is why we're running this Infobus session all about myths and misconceptions surrounding suicide.

For our Suicide Prevention Infobus this month, we're super lucky to have Jo from Suicide Prevention Australia joining us to help us clear up any questions we might have about talking about suicide. 

Talking about suicide can be a really heavy topic for some people, and we want to make sure that we keep this discussion as safe as possible for everyone involved. Please make sure to read the guidelines before posting, and keep in mind that tonight's conversation is about challenging the myths around suicide; appropriate ways of talking about suicide; and the fundamental principles of suicide prevention.

The session is not a place to get one-on-one support if you are experiencing suicidal thoughts - the people who can help you in that situation are the Suicide Callback Service, who are available 24/7 on 1300 659 467. If you need to talk to someone, please contact them.

We also want to acknowledge that for some people, particularly if you or someone you know has experienced suicidal thoughts in the past - talking about suicide can bring up some unexpected, overwhelming feelings. Please take notice of your emotional reactions and if that happens we strongly encourage you to take some time out; do something that makes you feel good (music, go for a run, meditate etc) and most importantly, reach out and talk to someone about what you are feeling - someone close to you or a helpline like Kids Helpline or Lifeline.

Remember, we can all play a part in suicide prevention. Join us right here on Thursday 21st February at 6:30 (WST) / 9:30 (AEDT) to help play your part.

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Re: INFOBUS: Suicide: overcoming the myths

Hello All and welcome to tonight’s infobus session Smiley Happy

Tonight we’ll be discussing suicide, which despite being the leading cause of death for young people is a topic hushed in today’s society and goes largely neglected. The purpose of tonight is to shed more light on this emotionally difficult subject and to clear the stigma surrounding suicide and create a greater awareness.

With us tonight we have the wonderful Jo from Suicide Prevention Australia who will help us with dispersing the misconceptions around suicide and the ever lovely Gail and Rosie who will be facilitating along with myself.

Before we get stuck into it, please remember to keep to the guidelines so we are able to maintain the safe RO community as we go through the discussion. The topic of suicide can be very emotionally challenging so if you are feeling as though you are beginning to feel overwhelmed please take a step back and give some time to yourself. If you feel the need to talk to someone about what you are going through please talk to someone close to you or Kids Helpline (1800 55 1800) or Lifeline(13 11 14).

So without further ado lets gets started!

Hey guys!

I'm really looking forward to tonight's discussion - suicide prevention is something I feel very strongly about and I really believe that we all play a part in reducing the prevalence of suicide. We're super lucky to have Jo with us, and she'll be posting our first question in just a moment!

Hi everyone! 

My name is Jo and I'm the Policy & Sector Engagement Manager at Suicide Prevention Australia. I'm really pleased to be here tonight (as is my cocker spaniel, Gracie) Smiley Happy

So we have a few questions we have thought of in advance to get the conversation going. 

Let's kick off with:

What do you think some myths and/or misconceptions regarding suicide are?

I find the notion that those who feel like they're only option is to commit suicide makes them selfish. At the end of the day who is anyone to say what their life is like living. It's not yours, so really you have no right to pass judgement.

HopeHappens wrote:

Some common ones that I've heard from people or come across when talking to people about suicide are:

- people that attempt/end their lives by suicide are always crazy

- suicide is an act of selfishness

- it's impossible to prevent a suicide

- people that attempt suicide don't really want to die, they are just seeking attention

- talking about suicide makes the problem worse

- people who talk about suicide don't go through with their plans

@_sagira_ wrote:
I find the notion that those who feel like they're only option is to commit suicide makes them selfish. At the end of the day who is anyone to say what their life is like living. It's not yours, so really you have no right to pass judgement.

Hey Sagira, welcome to tonight's infobus Smiley Happy good to have you here!

I think that myth that suicidal people are selfish is a common one - which unfortunately, a lot of people believe. Like you said though, it's impossible to know what someone else's life is like - they're obviously in a really bad place, and feeling judged by others isn't going to help that. 

Hey guys! Smiley Happy

I think a big myth is that suicide is an 'easy way out'. I think that's a pretty ignorant view.

@Sagira and Gail: I've also commonly come across the notion that it is a selfish and cowardly act.

@delicatedreamer wrote:

Hey guys! Smiley Happy

I think a big myth is that suicide is an 'easy way out'. I think that's a pretty ignorant view.

Welcome DD Smiley Happy Yep - that's a huge one. I think that kind of links with the idea that those who attempt/die from suicide are 'selfish' or 'weak' - that they've taken the easy option - which is definitely not true.