cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: INFOBUS: Suicide: overcoming the myths

Sorry for my absence, I was answering an email. Everyone has said what I wanted to say on the last question so I'll leave that one. Smiley Happy

When people think about suicide, self harm often also comes to mind. Do you think there is a link between self harm and suicide? Are all people that self harm suicidal?

I don't think that all people that self harm are suicidal because I think that there are sometimes different motivations behind the two things. I definitely do think that sometimes they can be linked though (this was the case for a friend of mine).

over the last few yrs ive had chronic back pain which I suffered an injury at work which has left me completely hopeless n useless..i constantly feel as thou im a burden..and because of this injury I cant do much..more guilt..my life turned upside down at age of 21..I feel most of the time I cant talk to friends n family..it took me 6 yrs to tell a Dr that I was comfortable with just to say I havnt been doin well at all..I felt I couldnt tell people how I really felt as they would judge me or think I was attention seeking..so I keep quiet for so many yrs n all it did was make it worse..but my actin skills would hav one an oscar..Im sorry if this is not on track with the forum..but this is just my point of view fromthe other side..I hav attempted n still struggling day to day...but that to sites like this ive been able to get some help..its easier for me to talk buy chat than it is face to face..thank you n im sorry..

@worthless - First of all, you are NOT worthless, and I am so sorry to hear about what you've been going through. There is no need to feel guilty about an injury that was out of your control. Know that you are never alone, and there are people out there who can help you get through this, you just need to seek them out. Talking to your doctor was the first step, have you talked to anyone else?

There are so many people out there who know what you're going through and would never judge you. Everybody here on this forum alone are willing to support you and encourage you to get the help you need. 

I will agree that self harm does link with being suicide in most cases..people who SH just need a release of the pain that just wont go away

good to have you back again DD. 

I think everyone's been right with this - self harm and suicide are different. Like you have said, self harm is typically about coping with emotions, a way to help a person deal with those emotions. Suicide is different - it's usually about feeling worthless, disconnected, and feeling like the world would be better off without you and that there is no other solution. 

@Worthless wrote:

over the last few yrs ive had chronic back pain which I suffered an injury at work which has left me completely hopeless n useless..i constantly feel as thou im a burden..and because of this injury I cant do much..more guilt..my life turned upside down at age of 21..I feel most of the time I cant talk to friends n family..it took me 6 yrs to tell a Dr that I was comfortable with just to say I havnt been doin well at all..I felt I couldnt tell people how I really felt as they would judge me or think I was attention seeking..so I keep quiet for so many yrs n all it did was make it worse..but my actin skills would hav one an oscar..Im sorry if this is not on track with the forum..but this is just my point of view fromthe other side..I hav attempted n still struggling day to day...but that to sites like this ive been able to get some help..its easier for me to talk buy chat than it is face to face..thank you n im sorry..

Thanks for coming to the forums Worthless, no need to apologise! 

It sounds like you've been through a lot over the last few years and that you're here and still reaching out for help is a sign of how strong you are. It sounds like you spent a really long time hiding that you were struggling, because you were worried about what people might think. That's why we're having this infobus session tonight, to try and dispel some of the misperceptions around suicide: how people experience suicidality, and how best to respond to that.  

We try to keep on topic within the session, but feel free to head over to the February intro thread and introduce yourself - the forums are a great place to meet others who might be experiencing similar things to you - and we'd love for you to connect with others Smiley Happy

I hav been trying to talk with professional but being tossed around alot..I will always feel im worthless..but not just cos of this injury..I hav chronic back pain which has been there since I was 21 or so..i dont want to go thru another 50 yrs of this...with the physical the emotional pain seems to double n I dont know what to do...most days its hard to get out of bed..but its been hard to get a psychologist or anything as I live in the country..

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us, now more in the line of prevention... 

Are there things that you can do in your everyday life that help support a community-wide suicide prevention movement? If so, what do you think those things are? How might they help prevent suicide?

Hi @worthless and welcome. I'm really glad you found your way here tonight. I'm sure you will find loads of people to connect with and get some support here on ReachOut. Please do know that there is help out there (here) for you. I know some of the others have given you some great tips so I'll leave it at that. Thanks again for coming and contributing Smiley Happy

Highlighted

@Worthless wrote:

I hav been trying to talk with professional but being tossed around alot..I will always feel im worthless..but not just cos of this injury..I hav chronic back pain which has been there since I was 21 or so..i dont want to go thru another 50 yrs of this...with the physical the emotional pain seems to double n I dont know what to do...most days its hard to get out of bed..but its been hard to get a psychologist or anything as I live in the country..

@Worthless
I understand completely where you're coming from.  As something similar happened to me 3 years ago.  It still gives me a lot of strife and everyday I'm learning more and more to accept it and be okay with it.  I only have the body I'm in right now, so I may as well respect and appreciate it for what it is.  I can still do my life's work through it.  It is harder to find support in the country, but I'm sure if you pursued it through your local GP they will be able to suggest and hook you up with the right people.  All the best now and forver.