cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: INFOBUS: Suicide: overcoming the myths

Hi sagira, thanks for joining us!

Yes, the idea that people who take their own lives are being selfish is very common. I agree - it's far better to be non-judgemental. 

It's very common for people who do attempt suicide to do so for almost the opposite reaosn - opposite of being selfish I mean. Many people are are suicidal think that their loved ones would be better off without them if they died. Of course, what we know from their loved ones, especially those who are bereaved, is that their family/friends would do anything to have them back alive.

What do you think some myths and/or misconceptions regarding suicide are?

Another misconception that bothers me is that people say you shouldn't talk about suicide. If you talk about it in a safe way, and try and get that person help - why shouldn't we be able to talk about it?

@RosieMay: That's an excellent one you've brought up which ties into our next question.

Sometimes people are scared to talk about suicide because they worry that it might put ideas into people's heads when they are vulnerable. Do you think this is true? Can talking about suicide be dangerous?

Hi DD. This sure is a myth: Suicide is ANYTHING but easy. People who try to kill themselves are coping with intense emotional and psychological pain - something very hard - and they are typically very ambivalent about dying. It's hard to face that. 

Welcome RosieMay!

Agree x 100 with everything you just said Jo.

@RosieMay wrote:

What do you think some myths and/or misconceptions regarding suicide are?

Another misconception that bothers me is that people say you shouldn't talk about suicide. If you talk about it in a safe way, and try and get that person help - why shouldn't we be able to talk about it?

Hi RosieMay, welcome to the discussion! And the forums - it's great to have you here! Yep - this is a huge one! We're about to discuss this a bit more...

@HopeHappens wrote:

Hi sagira, thanks for joining us!

Yes, the idea that people who take their own lives are being selfish is very common. I agree - it's far better to be non-judgemental. 

It's very common for people who do attempt suicide to do so for almost the opposite reaosn - opposite of being selfish I mean. Many people are are suicidal think that their loved ones would be better off without them if they died. Of course, what we know from their loved ones, especially those who are bereaved, is that their family/friends would do anything to have them back alive.

See I actually didn't realise that that's how many feel about it, but I can imagine how one's mind can weave a web of incredible delusion to feel this way.

Sometimes people are scared to talk about suicide because they worry that it might put ideas into people's heads when they are vulnerable. Do you think this is true? Can talking about suicide be dangerous?

I don't really know about this one. I can understand why people might think that, but I think open communication would do more to prevent suicide than encourage it, because I think it would make people feel like they can talk about how they are feeling without judgement.

I think talking about it is probably just what the person needs.  Being honest, fair and open.  It's not about...don't do it!  And trying to stop them, as I don't feel that that would be very productive.  But letting their thoughts and emotions come as they may.  It's better to share then keep all of it contained in ones self.

Yep, that's right 'incredible delusion'. When people are really thinking about taking their own life they usually a kind of tunnel vision and only see things that confirm their belief that they are a burden and things are hopeless (which they in reality are not). It's a very sad space to be in. Compassion is a great response to that.