cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: INFOBUS: Suicide: overcoming the myths

michine wrote:

Sometimes people are scared to talk about suicide because they worry that it might put ideas into people's heads when they are vulnerable. Do you think this is true? Can talking about suicide be dangerous?

It often worries me how many people believe that talking about suicide will make things worse. Suicide is so taboo in our society, and I think that's part of what makes people that are experiencing suicidality feel so ashamed and embarrassed about what they're going through. From my experience, asking directly and sensitively about whether someone is experiencing suicidal thoughts or feeling like ending their life has been really helpful in putting the topic out there - once it's out, it feels safer to talk about - and once we start talking about it, it becomes more possible to find alternative answers.

That's right. Most people will find it a relief to be allowed to talk about what's going on for them. And to feel like they are being listened to.

It probably makes them feel less alone as well. Even if that feeling is only brief. It's better then not at all.

So true. Feeling connected to others is really important and can help prevent suicide. It's very powerful. 

'Taboo' is right Gail. It's something that has keep suicide hidden in the shadows for a long time. 

Interesting thoughts guys! Time to think about another common belief regarding suicide...

Everyone who completes suicide is mentally ill, right? What do you think? Are there other reasons that someone might attempt suicide?

Sometimes people are scared to talk about suicide because they worry that it might put ideas into people's heads when they are vulnerable. Do you think this is true? Can talking about suicide be dangerous?

I think generally being able to share how you are feeling with others is sort of like a pressure relief valve which not only allows a person to let go of their stress but also it prevents negative thoughts from growing and festering in their head.

Agree - that's why it can feel better after a good cry on someone's shoulder!

Everyone who completes suicide is mentally ill, right? What do you think? Are there other reasons that someone might attempt suicide?

Without the labels of "mentally ill" or not, I think (to put it simply), a person who commits suicide is someone who is in such a dark place that they feel they can't continue. And I suppose that could be due to a variety of reasons, major stress caused by an event, or clinical mental illness

Hi graphiqual, welcome!

You've mentioned a few of the reasons we often hear about - major stress - could be caused form a relationship breakdown, financial troubles, chronic pain. Also loneliness and feeling worthless.