cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [INFOBUS] The rainbow: sexuality & gender diversity!

So, to kick off our first question for you all tonight is: not everyone might be familiar with the concepts we'll talk about tonight - can you explain what sexuality; gender; and sex mean? And how are they different?

Hey Guys,

Ok so I'll do my best off the top of my head to answer these questions... 

Sexuality = Who you are physically attracted to. This is a mental/inner part of someone's being that cannot be altered and has direct effects to the way their body feels around certain people.

Gender and Sex I don't exactly know the key difference. If I had to guess I'd say Gender is what you classify yourself as Male/Female/Intersex/Androgynous etc etc

Sex would then be what you are based on what anatomy you have downstairs, etc..

Hey @Clockwork - thanks heaps for coming along! Smiley Happy

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Hi clock work and lanejane Smiley Happy

also HI. woops forgot to introduce myself. I'm Beemo Smiley Happy

Can you explain what sexuality; gender; and sex mean? And how are they different?

Sex is about someones biological status (eg. reproductive organs or external genitalia). Generally, someones "sex" is about being recognised as being "male" or "female" in society... but many of us know it's not as simple as that!

Gender is more about attitudes and feelings. For example - While someones biological status may be "male", their attitudes, feelings and behaviours may not match or feel like how society says it should be as a male.

& Sexuality is about who you are romantically or sexually attracted to (simple examples might be someone who is gay, lesbian or bi)

lanejane

So, to kick off our first question for you all tonight is: not everyone might be familiar with the concepts we'll talk about tonight - can you explain what sexuality; gender; and sex mean? And how are they different?

I'd like to think of as sexuality as who you're physically/romantically/emotionally/etc. attracted to. Whilst sex is your biological (birth) sex and gender is the gender(s) that you identify with.

Highlighted

Hey. It's been a while since I've been around here, but I'm keen to find out more about this.... Thanks for coming bugs

Hi @Beemo - great to have you! Very well said on the sex and gender definitions... and sexuality refers to your sexual attraction to others... Here is a handy factsheet if anyone wants more detail... http://au.reachout.com/sex-sexuality-and-gender-explained

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

I think Beemo and Saigiro are totally right, that gender is about how people identify and the sex is something that is assigned at birth according to how doctor see someones biology. While sexuality is attached to peoles attraction, romance and identity

@Beemo 

Your first post made me smile. "Femaleness" haha Woman Very Happy Thanks for joining us!

lanejane