cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [INFOBUS] The rainbow: sexuality & gender diversity!

In your opinion, when it comes to family is it easier to come out to siblings, parents, grandparents or extended family? Why?

I'm still quite confused about my own sexuality. However I have always felt that if I were to come out, I would never be able to tell any of my grandparents :/ I would be fine with telling the rest of my family and friends.

hey @clockwork, no worries, thanks for letting us know.

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

i think that just like inviting people into your experience, and as forwardthinking demonstates everyones journey is really different and often not straight forward, and you will rarely get the exact response you were expecting and often people take time to respond in more thoughtful ways. I think there is no rule as to who is easier to share with for everyone and working out how is the safest and best way to communicate for you is the best, it might be online, it might be with your sister or your friend or councellor or maybe just with yourself

Hey @florenceforever, don't think you are alone there...

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

In your opinion, when it comes to family is it easier to come out to siblings, parents, grandparents or extended family? Why?

A girl I know told her parents she was a lesbian, and her parents said they were okay with it. But when word got out to the rest of the family the girls aunties and uncles were telling her parents to "control the situation". Shows that sometimes the issue is a little bit deeper in the family!

I was pretty worried coming out to my grandma. She was over 80 at the time and really religious. Apparently she already knew and she has only been supportive. She even posts things on facebook (yeah my grandma has facebook) telling everyone to support marriage equality.

lanejane

Oh gosh, okay I am going to say my siblings, I know they will accept me instantly, also my counsins. It gets hard when it comes to my parents and grandparents. My Dad has made his opinion on the LGBTIQ community very loud and clear. Threatened me over the years about what he would do if he didn't like something. I never felt I could let myself go and be who I was, because of the fear he instilled in me. Probably added to my confusion. Yeah I am not looking forward to those conversations, should they arrive.

Think that's why I just keep telling people...I'm not interested. Tends to shut them up. Plus I feel that your relationships are so personal and private, yet it has become socially acceptable to question people about intimate details of their lives.

@_sagira_ When you're comfortable and when you're ready is when the time is right. Don't ever let someone make you feel less than amazing and realise that it may feel like a big deal now but so so many people have come out and will come out in the future and it's just a stepping stone to who you are meant to be! Good on you for being strong!

So, moving along have you (or someone you know) ever experienced a time after coming out where people say they love and accept you, but their actions or comments seem to suggest otherwise? What can we do when this happens? This is based on a thread we had recently - latent homophobia.

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

@lanejane Your grandma is awesome and that sounds like the exact experience people would want.

Highlighted

It's definitely clear everyone's experiences are so different...

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com