cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

INFOBUS: chat with a Headspace psychologist!

These days there are lots of different ways to get help when you are going through something tough. Sometimes you can get through it with the help of friends/family, or by making the most of self-help and peer based support from services like ReachOut.com.

However there are times when talking one-on-one with a professional really is the best thing. If something is going on and you’ve decided that it might be worth taking that step, it can be really hard. Whether it’s a doctor, school counsellor, youth worker, psychologist or someone else: it’s normal to feel worried about opening up to someone new. Some common worries are not knowing

…who they are
…what to expect
…how they will react
…if they'll take me seriously
… how to explain the problems
…if you can trust them
and the list goes on....
so we want to have an open & casual discussion to dispel some of the myths we have about seeking help.

headspace has over 60 centres around Australia which have a range of youth friendly health professionals who can help you with general health; mental health and counselling; education, employment and other services; and alcohol and other drug services. Next Thursday 23rd July we will be welcoming a special guest from Headspace - Malitha Perera, a psychologist who will be here to chat through the myths and stereotypes to make it easier for all of us to reach out for help when we need it. 

Here's what Malitha had to say about the session

My name is Malitha Perera. I am a registered Occupational Therapist working at headspace. I support young people going through a tough time online at eheadspace and in person at two headspace centres.

I have a Bachelor of Occupational Therapy and a Bachelor of Psychological Science from La Trobe University, and am currently completing a Masters in Public Health at the University of Melbourne and qualifications in Cognitive Analytic Therapy. I have previously worked with young people in a Community Health setting and at Orygen Youth Health.

When a young person contacts headspace, it is often their first experience of help seeking and many have questions and worries about what help seeking will entail.  I am looking forward to discussing questions and worries about getting help by working with a health professional. Hopefully, we can dispel some myths and provide some reassurance.

Thanks Malitha! 

Got a question about visiting a psychologist or getting help that you’d like to ask Malitha anonymously?
Submit it here and he’ll attempt to answer your question during the session.

9pm AEST July 24th

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Re: INFOBUS: chat with a Headspace psychologist!

Hello everyone and welcome to July's infobus!

Myself and the excellent

@rt262

will be facilitating the session tonight, and we are joined by Malitha (@headspace) - a therapist from headspace (hooray!).

Tonight we're talking all about getting help and how places like headspace can be there for you when things get tough. Talking about tough times can be overwhelming, so if at any stage you feel emotional about anything that happens in the discussion, know you can always have a chat with the legends at Kids Helpline (webchat or 1800 55 1800).

As always, please take note of the guidelines that help everyone feel safe & supported here: stay anonymous; no linking to other campaigns without permission and no descriptions of self-harm, suicide or abuse that might be triggering to others. There’s more guidelines, read them here.

To start off tonight – we hear a lot that it can be hard to admit that you need help. Why do you think this is?

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Hey everyone!

we hear a lot that it can be hard to admit that you need help. Why do you think this is?

I think the reason as to why so many people have trouble in admitting that they need help because they don't want to be perceived as weak, but little do they know that asking for help when you need it is the strongest thing you can do.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

Hello everyone! I'm looking forward to tonight's sesh Smiley Happy 

To start off tonight – we hear a lot that it can be hard to admit that you need help. Why do you think this is?

I think it's scary to admit that whatever you are going through is real... and also thinking that maybe whatever you're going through isn't really serious and you should be able to deal with it yourself.

hey there @stonepixie thanks for joining us. Yep I agree - it's perceived as weak but little do we realise who strong you have to be to do it!!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

we hear a lot that it can be hard to admit that you need help. Why do you think this is?

I think it's because people think they always have to appear strong and that getting help is seen as a weakness.
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

Hey rt262! yep that too - definitely scary! Especially if you haven't done it before...

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Hey @stonepixie welcome to infobus! 

That's a really wise point. I agree that asking for help can be the strongest thing and also the bravest. 

Hello everyone! Smiley Happy

I believe that attitude {the attitudes of others) plays a big part in how difficult it is to admit you need help. People may want to handle what they're going through on their own, may think that others may not understand or don't want to be perceived negatively. 

Hey redhead! totally agree that's how it's perceived... but it's soooo hard & takes strength. that's the reality.

do you think it's tougher for guys? or the same for guys and girls

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com