cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: INFOBUS: eating disorders/body image

Just being there and offering unwavering support... Because often no words are the right ones! Positive words can sometimes sound the same as negative words so I think just being there and not giving up is the best support

"Toxic fat talk" can have a big impact on our thoughts and feelings. How can we challenge this type of talk in our everyday lives?

Great advice @Bellabella , the road to recovery can often be scary, and a steady companion is usually greatly appreciated!

I use active distraction techniques when I am finding myself getting a bit caught up on negative thoughts about my image. Instead of continuing to battle between positive and negative, I just start reading a book or call someone I really like chatting to! It usually boosts my mood and I stop thinking negative things.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

And still, I rise.

"Toxic fat talk" can have a big impact on our thoughts and feelings. How can we challenge this type of talk in our everyday lives?

Even if you're joking, people can take it the wrong way - particularly if it's consistent. One way of challenging this kind of talk would be asking what is 'fat'?

Another great technique can be to ask yourself "what would I say to a friend I really care about if I heard them talking this way to themselves?"

I try to change the negative thought into a positive thought
Usually something that I'm grateful for
If not meditation or listening to music

I too like to distract myself when I start thinking negatively about my body. But I also like to think "Is fat the worst thing you can be called?"

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

Good point Bellabella. It's important to look at HOW we are thinking, not just WHAT we are thinking

Hey @Bellabella - we actually have a whole thread about turning negatives into positives. It's a great place to tell others about how you're shifting your thoughts Smiley Happy You can find it here.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

And still, I rise.