cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Infobus: Hello Sunday Morning!

@Sophie-RO I have come across people that treat alcohol to lift your spirits up and to almost not face rough days. Some people do have beliefs in drinking for health too. 

We find that people will use any excuse to drink. We won Smiley Happy LETS DRINK…
We lost Smiley Sad LETS DRINK…
again there's no problem with that it makes you think doesn't it?

Just popping in briefly because I'm working on an assignment that's due Monday.

How does alcohol feature in your life? Do you drink a lot/little bit etc
It doesn’t really. I didn’t touch alcohol until I was 18 and I’m still only an occasional drinker where I limit myself to two standard drinks in an even if it’s a special occasion or generally one if I treat myself.

For those of you who don't drink, what influenced your decision?
Why do I only drink occasionally? I don’t really see the appeal and when I do drink I do so to relax a little but still have control and the ability to have good conversations with others.

We've been taking anonymouse questions over the last week and here is one that was submitted for Jamie to answer: "My boyfriend has a habit of getting drunk regularly, and it's starting to concern me. How do I start a conversation with him?" So Jamie, what do you think? And to everyone else, do you have any tips for starting a conversation with someone you are worried about?

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Great question, it's one we get asked a lot.

The first question to ask yourself is how his drinking is impacting on you and your relationship. Perhaps framing the conversation around how his drinking effects you would be a good starting point. Often people who have an issue with alcohol don't identify it as a problem for them or don't realise that perhaps they need support to change. 

Hey LightUpTheWorld! Thanks for dropping by to let us know about your experiences. Do you ever feel any pressure from friends or society more broadly around drinking?

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

If you don't want to approach it in that way perhaps you could pose a bit of a couples challenge. I'm not sure if you drink but perhaps make a commitment to a do a 3-month HSM yourself and ask if he wants to come on the ride! You could say you're doing a 3-month HSM to get fit and save some cash, rather than to help him get a hold of his drinking. By showing that you don't need alcohol in your life it may help him reconsider his own personal relationship with alcohol and spur him on to do a 3-month HSM himself or moderate his drinking.

I was watching some crappy reality show the other day where one of the cast got out of rehab for alcohol addiction and her friends threw her a party to celebrate... with alcohol. I mean, they were drinking in the other room but I was like 'if there's really one kind of situation where you shouldn't be drinking, it's this one!'

I don't drink at all through the week - I've never been one to have wine with dinner or unwind after work with a beer. However on weekends I will usually incorporate booze into whatever social engagement I have. It's definitely a social lubricant for me, without it I don't feel nearly as friendly.

That sounds like you have a pretty healthy relationship with alcohol. Would you say you drink a lot on the weekends?

Good point Jamie. It's always good to approach these types of conversations without saying "you are..." but more like "it make me feel like..."

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com