cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Jan 30 Infobus: Coping with depression

Good point dreamcatcher. Also, a lot of the symtpoms of depression we can all experience from time to time; however the intensity and frequency when we are depressed is much more. And, as I said before, you can't necessarily "see" depression... even when we have it ourselves! 

Highlighted

and vulnerable, I feel like I am at peoples mercy as I lost the able to care for myself, no motivation, not worthy enough etc

Highlighted

Thanks for joining us Alpha73. Good description. Unfortunately, depression has a way of preventing us from reigniting our flame also, thats why we need to get the support of others. 

Highlighted

@dreamcatcher Ahhh~same here. Except mine was stress. Anything else with mental health was learnt in our syllabus - so although it was educational - it wasn't exactly practical for finding help...

Hey there Alpha73, wow that's a really powerful description - thanks so much for sharing your experience with us

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Highlighted

Those thoughts and feelings do tie into it too Alpha73, and help to prevent us from getting help. It can be a vicious cycle. 

Highlighted

Have you ever found it hard to tell someone that you need help? Or has it been hard to figure out who to tell? Why? 

I always find it hard to tell someone I need help and it is also difficult to figure out who to tell because people view asking for help as a weakness when it is actually a strength and if you do tell someone what you are going through some dont know what to do with the information and just shut down or tell you to get over it or move on. 

Again with depression i tended to isolate myself from people and because i live alone and wirk mostly by myself there wasn't really anyone to give me any feedback. However now i have an awesome GP (sometimes he calls me up to see if im ok)  and have started to rebuild my network of friend and family. I think i would still see my GP if i needed help because his not as close.

Highlighted

Have you ever found it hard to tell someone that you need help? Or has it been hard to figure out who to tell? Why? 

Definitely. Especially when you haven't quite been told who you can go to or that what is available to you is quite limited. It can be hard to find someone to tell. I remember that I told a school counsellor and they breached my confidentiality and that with my parents, there's the cultural stigma ("You can deal with it by yourself and it's all in your head. You don't need to go see a psychologist.") There could also be a time issue too - finding the time to make appointments or attend sessions that could be very beneficial. There's also the lack of motivation or energy; thinking that it going to sessions may not even help you and having that feeling of hopelessness and oblivion. 

It can be SO hard to tell someone that you need help! What I try and live by is just to take a step - no matter how small - so whether its something non-confronting like looking up a factsheet or a story to inform myself - or trying out an anonymous forum like this or anonymous online chat counselling... Find A step, no matter how small to take towards help... if calling a helpline or going into a headspace centre seems too hard, find something else that you do feel comfortable doing... it's a journey and small steps can work for a lot of us.

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com