cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Jan 30 Infobus: Coping with depression

Have you ever found it hard to tell someone that you need help? Or has it been hard to figure out who to tell? Why? 

I was so secretive, although... I'm guessing my friends noticed something was up when I wasn't hanging out with them.
I actually waited a long time before I seeked help for the first time, things started to get even worse and I was scaring myself... So for a short moment I was determined enough to get better, which lead to me emailing KHL. If I never did that, I probably would have never (Im assuming) reached out. 

At all costs, I avoided telling any family or friends, I didn't trust very easily and talking to someone who knew not of who I was or where I was easier for me.

That's why I think things like Reachout.com and KHL/Lifeline/etc are important; they're a less stressful and super supportive first step for people who think something isn't quite right, plus the fact that you can remain anon is super conforting for some people.

Highlighted

These are all really common reasons why people struggle to tell others. Lets not forget also that depression impacts on our thoughts. We begin to tell ourselves that people don't want to hear it, or can't help us. 

Highlighted

I know some of us may have touched on this but Can you think of some of the common misconceptions or myths about depression? Maybe you have personally experienced some?

Kel, so pleased to hear that you found the help in your GP that worked for you. Your story will go a long way in helping others see that if you keep trying you'll find someone or something that works for you and gets you the help that you deserve/need!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Highlighted

Smiley Sad I forgot about this. So I'm very, very late.

Anyway, may as well jump onto the band wagon briefly.

Definitely hard to tell people. Because it's like you're finally admitting you have a problem. Well that's what it was like for me anyway.

I was sort of in denial, thinking I would be fine and get better on my own. Took me 6 years to finally start seeing a psychologist. That was one of the hardest things I've ever done. It's been 2 years and I still find it hard to even be honest with her. I told her my aim this year is to be more honest, open and vulnerable with her. There comes a point where I need to have all that discomfort and just let it out...otherwise I won't progress anywhere.
Highlighted

Kel, a GP is generally the first point of call for depression. Its fantastic you found a good one!

Highlighted

Have you ever found it hard to tell someone that you need help? Or has it been hard to figure out who to tell? Why? 

for me the depression sneaked up on me over a number of years untreated, I had/have a stressful job and 12 months ago this week had a complete breakdown at work - because of the work - yet there was a lot of underlying issues. Work sent me home "for the day"... Only to come back and face it all again, that is when my light went out and I knew if I was going to survive (live at all) I had to help myself... Thanks to Google and my fab psychologist I am alive. My friends knew something wasn't right but they didn't ask, and I didn't share as I felt embarrassed, ashamed that I wasn't strong enough. 

Slowly I learnt that I needed to share with my friends and my work... Its hard as it is a stigma, people doubt me, they feel unsure if I one of my two heads will fall off... but I assure them I only have one and its is a better place.

Highlighted

Can you think of some of the common misconceptions or myths about depression? Maybe you have personally experienced some?

I'm pretty sure all the big ones would have been covered.  But for me...being so exhausted and drained and constantly needing to nap during the day and people call me 'lazy'.  I hate that.  That's all I can think of right now.

Highlighted

Better late than never _sagira_! thanks for joining us. It can be hard to open up, but its the first step towards a brighter future. 

Highlighted

no probs sagira! great you made it!

Also - so powerful to hear you say that it took 6 years to see your psychologist. Did you know the median time between onset of mental illness and treatment in Australia is 10 years... ?

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com