cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Jan 30 Infobus: Coping with depression

Also...ashamed. When someone else tells me the struggles they're going through, there is no judgement. But as soon as it's me...I feel so much shame.
Highlighted

Can you think of some of the common misconceptions or myths about depression? Maybe you have personally experienced some?

I think that it being seen as a weakness is a main one. People don't want to be perceived as weak, so they don't seek help. Also, the fact that there could be something wrong with a person can freak them out, they don't want to be perceived as a 'nutso' or 'loose nut' or 'crazy'. 

I found that common thoughts like 'I must have done something wrong', 'it's not a big deal', 'it's just a phase' (THIS IS SO ANNOYING AND COMMON FOR YOUNG PEOPLE OMG /endrant), 'you're just overreacting', 'you're being a whimp', 'grow up', 'toughen up', etc circulate around depression Smiley Mad

Highlighted

Welcome @_sagira_ even though it took you a while to get help it is such a great step forward Smiley Happy That's amazing

Thanks Sophie

Can you think of some of the common misconceptions or myths about depression? Maybe you have personally experienced some?

I've been on both sided of the fence. When i was younger my mum was diagnosed with psychotic depression and i guess being so young i assumed that every one with depression was the same. Now i know that there are different types and we are all affected in different ways. I'm also able to empathize with her more and no longer think she's totally batty!

Highlighted

Oh so many~I've encountered the following: 

• Once you find out that you have depression, you immediately self-harm and commit suicide. 
  • That you're not normal and it's contagious
  • It's all in your head and you can stop it by yourself
  • Guys just don't get depression 
  • It's a weakness and that you should just get over it 
  • You can identify who has depression by how they dress and how they act (This 'gem' comes from my experiences at a religious private school where I was bullied and students called an 'emo' kid - mind you, I was an introverted kid with short hair and a lanky figure that enjoyed listening to punk music <shrug>)

The second anonymous question we were asked this week was “How can I help my dad manage his depression?
My answer:
The best way to help anyone manage their depression is to firstly familiarise yourself with the many different symptoms of depression, and understanding that the symptoms may be different in different people. It can be particularly difficult when you are trying to help a parent with depression, and there may be a role reversal.
You can talk to your dad about your concerns, let him know that you’re worried and ask him how you can help him. You can also suggest to him that he see the family doctor or speak to a friend or family member about it. You may also be able to encourage him to do fun things together, like watch a funny movie, or exercise together.
The most important thing you can do is to look after yourself. Make sure you give yourself a break from home, exercise and sleep and eat well. Talk to people you can trust, like a family member, friend, or teacher. You may even benefit from joining a support group or seeking support from your own GP or counsellor. Remember that you cannot fix this on your own, your dad needs to be willing to accept the help.

To follow on from that, the next question to you guys is what are some of the ways you can be a good support to a family member/friend with depression?

Highlighted

@Sophie-RO wrote:
no probs sagira! great you made it!

Also - so powerful to hear you say that it took 6 years to see your psychologist. Did you know the median time between onset of mental illness and treatment in Australia is 10 years... ?

Really?  No...I thought I was slow!  Interesting. 

(as a side note:  Good to be back.  It's been a while.)

Highlighted

Highlighted

I think this image shows up some myths of depression nicely:

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Highlighted

@Myvo Ugh, good old stereotypes. I'm getting frustrated just thinking about it. Haha Grrrrrrrr