cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Jan 30 Infobus: Coping with depression

Sorry for my late answer, my net dropped out, but I'm back! Smiley Happy

Have you ever found it hard to tell someone that you need help? Or has it been hard to figure out who to tell? Why?

I've ALWAYS found it extremely hard to tell someone I NEED help!
When I first joined the forums here, I had no idea who to turn to. I had no idea about depression, the symptoms, how to seek help, who can help you, ect. I got all the info I know from reading factsheets here and other sites such as beyondblue! I don't recall any part of school where we were taught about any mental illness.

Also as touched on before, I myself felt like I had no reason to feel the way I do. When I looked at friends and peers, I always felt as though I was more well off, and shouldn't be feeling so upset. I was (and still am) caught up in a lot of stereotypes and misconceptions. I also found that I would (and still do) convince myself that no one would be able to relate with how I felt, that they wouldn't understand what I was trying to say. I also got caught up in a whole trust cat and mouse game, which was mostly (I feel) in my head...

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

Highlighted

@sagira I know, its scary isn't it!!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Highlighted

Re: Jan 30 Minibus: Coping with depression

Can we just kill stigma please? kay, thanks.

Highlighted

I agree Bee. Our depression also tells us that everyone else has got their "shit" together, we are just hopeless. 

Highlighted

@dreamcatcher wrote:

Can you think of some of the common misconceptions or myths about depression? Maybe you have personally experienced some?

I think that it being seen as a weakness is a main one. People don't want to be perceived as weak, so they don't seek help. Also, the fact that there could be something wrong with a person can freak them out, they don't want to be perceived as a 'nutso' or 'loose nut' or 'crazy'. 

I found that common thoughts like 'I must have done something wrong', 'it's not a big deal', 'it's just a phase' (THIS IS SO ANNOYING AND COMMON FOR YOUNG PEOPLE OMG /endrant), 'you're just overreacting', 'you're being a whimp', 'grow up', 'toughen up', etc circulate around depression Smiley Mad

Yes...this is true.  And the 'pity eyes'.

To follow on from that, the next question to you guys is what are some of the ways you can be a good support to a family member/friend with depression?

My Mum has been depressed multiple times.  But I guess we're sort of similar in that she was in denial about it.  I told her I was seeing a psyc.  She's weird about it.  It was getting really bad and I told her she needs to talk to someone and she said, 'but no one will listen to me.'  And I said, 'no I'm not talking family or friends, I mean you need to maybe think about professional help.'

I gave her the information.  She always asks me questions.  But she's weird about it.  Like really weird, I haven't even told her the latest stuff that's been going on with me because it's just too much and I don't want to answer her questions.  She's part of that generation that just don't get it.

But in general when I know someone is struggling:
- I send them messages often to see how they're travelling

- I listen and I constantly offer them the opportunity to talk to me if they need to

- Sometimes I tell them what works for me if I think they will benefit from it.

Highlighted

@Alikki wrote:

The second anonymous question we were asked this week was “How can I help my dad manage his depression?

To follow on from that, the next question to you guys is what are some of the ways you can be a good support to a family member/friend with depression?

Thanks Alikki for answering that question about helping a parent manage depression. Sounds like @Kel you also have that experience of supporting a parent with a mental illness. I'd love to hear from others how they have either supported others around them - or tell us about a friend or family member who did a good job of supporting you? What was good about what they did?

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Highlighted

Can you think of some of the common misconceptions or myths about depression? Maybe you have personally experienced some?

From my experience..

- people that know have tended to patronise me, been over nice compared to how they where with me before they knew

- that I should have scars on my wrist from self harming

- that you just take a pill and its fixes everything ???

- that its contagious

- that I can't be trusted or useful as I am "not right" therefore I get ignored or pushed aside

- its just in my head and It will pass

- its because I don't have a boyfriend or husband or kids, and it will all get better once that happens.

Highlighted

@dreamcatcher as corny as this sounds we can do it one person at a time.

I think everyone has covered this question quite adequately.

The best thing you can do is be there to listen. Listen to HOW they feel, and what they are saying. Install in them that it is okay to feel upset/sad over whatever. Praising them when they are looking good or looking like they feel better can do wonders. Even a simple "I love you" or having a good laugh helps. Basically being a good friend/family member Smiley Happy

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

Highlighted

@dreamcatcher wrote:

Can we just kill stigma please? kay, thanks.

I do feel like it's becoming more acceptable, especially with the younger generations.