Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Jan 30 Infobus: Coping with depression

Highlighted

It sounds like you've got some good ideas to support others _sagira_

The most important thing you can do, partcularly if you're depressed as well is seek support for yourself. 

Highlighted

what are some of the ways you can be a good support to a family member/friend with depression?

I think just being there for someone as Alikki said  before being there in a non-judgmental way and just encouraging them to seek help and letting them know you are there to support them. 

@Alikki wrote:

The most important thing you can do, partcularly if you're depressed as well is seek support for yourself. 

Touche!  Smiley Tongue

I have an American friend I've been talking to a lot lately.  She finds it really hard to sleep and stay asleep, often getting startled awake by thinking there are men in her bed or having nightmares etc.  Because of the time difference I always just leave skype open so she can hear me doing whatever I'm doing.  Sometimes I just have music playing for her.  It makes her feel safer. 

Highlighted

@Alpha73 Yup~had that too, when people start becoming overly chummy because they think that if they don't, you'll go self-harm = =" The husband/boyfriend/kids thing: that's the first I've heard of that XD

Highlighted

So we've talked a little bit about what good support looks like (i'd still like to hear from more of you about what good supports have done for you)...

On the other hand, what are some things you should never say to someone with depression?

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Highlighted

@Bee wrote:
Install in them that it is okay to feel upset/sad over whatever.

Yes...accepting and realising it's okay to feel whatever it is you're/they're feeling.

Highlighted

Sometime i think that I am unable to give advise to someone with depression at this time as i still get overwhelmed at small stuff. I would still advise them to see a professional.

Highlighted

Wow, that's great of you to do that. Make sure you get a break from all of this responsibility though!