cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Jan 30 Infobus: Coping with depression

They're good ones!

Also, "just snap out of it" "it's all in your head"...

Highlighted

what are some things you should never say to someone with depression?

- To just 'get over it'
- That it's all in their head
- There are people worse off than them. (Even though it is true, it can be detrimental...Sometimes this can be seen as telling them what they feel isn't real, and won't help them much at all. I found this myself. I hate when people say that to me! )
- That they "can't be sad" (This one also infuriates me)

I've heard of others, and have heard some that have really angered me in the past, but I can't remember tham at the moment..

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

Highlighted

The last anonymous questions we had submitted to us for tonight was: “what would you say to someone who is unsure whether to seek help or not?
My answer: If someone was unsure if they should seek help or not, I would try to find out a little more about what the issues were and how much of an impact they were having on the person’s life. I would ask them if it were their best friend in this position, would they think they should get help. I would also let them know that no harm can come from seeking help, the knowledge and skills you learn can help anyone at any stage of their lives.

And to throw it out to all of you – what do you think? Where can you turn for help if you or someone you know was feeling depressed?

Highlighted

what are some things you should never say to someone with depression?

• "Suck it up"/"Cheer up"
  • "It's jus a phase, you'll get over it"
  • "What the hell is wrong with you?!"
  • "You belong in a nuthouse"
  • "You're being stupid/silly"
  • "You're making a big deal out of nothing, can you not"
  • "Please stop being so negative all the time, you're just doing it for attention"
  • (sticking with @Myvo 's stereotype point) "It's just because you're emo/goth/etc"
  • "You're weak/alone/etc"
  • "If you keep this up you're going to get nowhere in life/be alone"
  • "Do you take crazy pills"
  • "Do you harm yourself" 
  • "It's all in your head"
  • "You have so much going for you, YOU CAN'T BE 'DEPRESSED"
  • "There are people who have it worse than you, get over you're shitty little problems"

It's terrible that this is a common thing. Remember that these are extreamly negative views Smiley Sad 

Yep, I got carried away Smiley Surprised

Highlighted

@Bee wrote:

- There are people worse off than them. (Even though it is true, it can be detrimental...Sometimes this can be seen as telling them what they feel isn't real, and won't help them much at all. I found this myself. I hate when people say that to me! )

Yeah...this one is really, really hard.  A friend of mine said something along the lines, I can't complain cos I don't have cancer.  As in...nothing is as bad as cancer.  I study radiation therapy.  I just said to her, 'what!?'  You can't measure other peoples hurts against cancer!!

Also another one I was always told: 'Cheer up Charlie!'  Omg...no.

Highlighted

@Myvo The last one. ARGH! That one makes me want to scream! I seriously dislike that one. In a lot of contexts!

@Sagira Ooh that is irritating! Sometimes people say things with no thought that end up doing more hurt than good... There are much better ways to go about it than that!

@Sophie I must be the minority tonight, I found my list of "what not to say" difficult to compose!

@Alikki Those two are terrible too! They're all terrible!

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

Highlighted

And to throw it out to all of you – what do you think? Where can you turn for help if you or someone you know was feeling depressed?

Sometimes I talk to friends about it.  My psychologist.  If it's really bad I might use a crisis service.  Exercise and forcing myself out of the house really helps.  Checking through my resources!   I have a list of things to do whenever I'm feeling awful.  Also have a coping jar I might pull something random out of and do.

Someone I know...I would offer them distractions as well, to meet up, figure out how long it's been going on for and maybe suggesting they get extra support from a professional.

Highlighted

You can come on RO, call Lifeline 13 11 14 or Kids Helpline 1800 55 1800, You can go to a GP, Speak to a Counsellor or Speak to some close to you, friend or family 

Bee wrote:

I agree with Bee.... People telling me that I should be grateful for what I have, and the "grass is not always greener".  This can do more harm than good, it just makes me mad and feel guilty/ashamed and it also dismisses or invalidates what I am going thru.

We all want to me heard and acknowledged.

Highlighted

They sound like good strategies _sagira_

I particularly like the coping jar!