cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Jan 30 Infobus: Coping with depression

Thanks everyone. It was great to hear from you all. 

Highlighted

@Alikki  Ugh, true.
Maybe just even plain happy people frustrate people with depression. I was thinking more like "Why can't I be that happy?" not so much "ugh, you're annoying". My point is kinda hard to point into words. 

Highlighted

It has been awesome tonight guys. Here is the summary for tonight 

If you had to describe depression to someone who had never heard of it before, what would you say?

We all see depression differently and some of us described it as a lack of motivation and energy. Some of us described it as a dark place, like being stuck in the mud or a grey blanket over everything or having a plug pulled out of you which leaves you drained.

If you feel sad does that mean you are depressed?

Many of us agreed that everyone experience sadness but depression can be more crippling and long (for at least two weeks). It can be very complex and can be more than just sadness for instance, low motivation and energy, suicidal thoughts, loss of interest, isolation and many more.  

Why is it sometimes hard to recognise the difference? Do you think that this might stop someone from asking for help?

So many of us discussed how we don’t recognise it because we dismiss it as being normal and with so much stigma this can stop us from reaching out and asking for help. We not only rely on our perception but the perception of others and when people are not understanding or knowledgeable about depression then they are quick to say ohh you will be fine or get over it, it’s nothing which then changes your perception to fit the culture around you. We tend to normalize our feelings until its too late and because depression is now used so casually it is difficult to recognize because its used so lightly. Someone also mentioned that because we think some people have it worse than we do then we shouldn’t complain which brings about feelings of guilt and pushes us to just try and deal with it alone.

Have you ever found it hard to tell someone that you need help? Or has it been hard to figure out who to tell? Why?

Sometimes getting help can be viewed by society as a weakness and some of us often try doing it by ourselves. It can also be difficult to get help when you don’t know who to go to and there is nothing available to you. When we go through a tough time some of us isolate ourselves and become secretive because we are scared of what others will think. Taking things one step at a time can help with getting help so looking at factsheets or coming on the forums can slowly lead to you getting the help you need whether online of F2F.

Can you think of some of the common misconceptions or myths about depression? Maybe you have personally experienced some?

• Being called lazy because you are exhausted and drained.
  • Being viewed as being weak
  • “It’s just a phase” or “It’s nothing”
  • Being viewed as not normal or contagious
  • “You can stop yourself if you try”
  • Guys don’t get depression
  • Being patronized and people being overly nice
  • That depression is automatically associated with self harm or eating disorders
  • That you take a pill and you are fine again

What are some of the ways you can be a good support to a family member/friend with depression?

• Be non-judgemental
  • Listen and offer them the opportunity to talk if they need it
  • Encourage them to seek help
  • Seek help for yourself (SELF CARE)
  • Educate yourself about support services and basic information on depression

On the other hand, what are some things you should never say to someone with depression?

• Where are your scars? Or do you take meds?
  • Why aren't you in the psycho ward with the others? 
  • Please stop being so negative all the time, you're just doing it for attention
  • Oh, young people's troubles!
  • Fake it til you make it
  • You look like you want to kill yourself.
  • Just 'get over it'
  • That it's all in their head
  • There are people worse off than them.
  • You have so much going for you, YOU CAN'T BE 'DEPRESSED

And to throw it out to all of you – what do you think? Where can you turn for help if you or someone you know was feeling depressed?

• Speaking to a friend or family
  • Seeing a psychologist or GP
  • Calling help lines
  • Come on RO
  • Having resources that help you cope 

Highlighted

I guess just be conscious that we have talked about some frustrating issues and that talking about your mental health can be draining - so make sure you do something to switch off now from the chat - like listen to a song, or stretch, go for a walk and do something good for yourself!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Highlighted

Thanks @Alikki and everyone else fascilitating...it's good to talk about this.  Smiley Happy  Would have been nice to be here for the whole stint, but that's okay.

Highlighted

@Sophie-RO I love that quote! It makes me remember that I'm allowed to feel whatever emotion I feel, it's what I do with the emotion and how I handle it that matters.

@ruenhonx In my list I've had a couple said to me, and it just irritates me, sometimes I feel like snapping and being like "You have no idea what I feel, how about you take a mile in my shoes before you judge and make suggestions"

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

Highlighted

See you all next month for another Infobus - or next Monday night for Getting Real! See ya!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Highlighted

Sorry, @Bee , it even was a little for me too, they're all things people said to me at some point. Meditation sounds like a really good way to look after yourself. I may copy you and do it myself Smiley Happy

Bye everyone! It was a good turn out tonight Smiley Happy

Highlighted

@dreamcatcher I agree with @_sagira_ Over the top positive has be practical for it to be useful.

My mentor at school, was a very positive person, and sometimes it got to me a bit, but I took myself back to what she was saying and her aims, and once I did that I reasiled she was only wanting the best for me! Smiley Happy

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart