cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Jan 30 Infobus: Coping with depression

People often use the word depression when they are talking about moments or phases when they’re feeling sad or down. But more officially, depression is a name for a range of different conditions. These include conditions where someone feels a sadness that is more severe than normal, lasts longer than two weeks and interferes with how they cope with everyday life.

Sometimes people feel sad or down for a long time. Come along to find out about the different causes of ongoing sadness, find out how to recognise when it becomes a problem, and find out what you can do to handle ongoing sad feelings and depression.

On Thursday 30th Jan at 9pm AEDT we're chatting with our special guest Alikki Russell about depression. Alikki is a registered psychologist and we want to hear from you about how you manage your mental health and cope with depression.

Here's what Alikki had to say:

"I am a registered psychologist originally from country NSW and currently practicing in Newcastle NSW. I have experience in working with people with disabilities and mental health issues such as depression and anxiety. I have a particular interest in trauma. I enjoy spending time with my family and dogs, and going to the beach."

Got a question you’d like to ask Alikki anonymously?
Submit it here and she’ll answer your question during the session.

In the meantime, read about how other people have dealt with their depression:

Training the black dog

Going it alone is a no go

Always the mature one

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Highlighted

Re: Jan 30 Infobus: Coping with depression

Hey there all and welcome to the first Infobus for 2014 here on RO.com! We are really stoked to be joined by a new special guest, Alikki Russell who is a registered psychologist working in NSW.  

Tonight, we’ll be asking you about your thoughts and experiences of coping with depression. It could be that you have tips for managing your own mental health and reaching out for support; or maybe you’ve got some ideas for supporting someone else in your life.

You might even just want to sit back and listen (make sure you say hi though!) – but tonight we’re acknowledging that it’s possible depression will touch your life in one way or another over the years so it’s best to be equipped with the knowledge and info to cope the best way we can.

I’ll be co-facilitating tonight with ruenhonx, one of our awesome peer moderators, as well as Alikkil our special guest. If at any stage you feel overwhelmed or upset by anything that happens in the discussion, know you can always have a chat with the legends at Kids Helpline (webchat or 1800 55 1800).

We’ve also received some anonymous questions about depression that Alikki will be answering over the course of the discussion right here.

As always, please take note of the guidelines that help everyone feel safe & supported here: stay anonymous; no linking to other campaigns without permission and no descriptions of self-harm, suicide or abuse that might be triggering to others. There’s more guidelines, read them here.

OK, so to kick things off tonight here is the first question:If you had to describe depression to someone who had never heard of it before, what would you say?

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Highlighted

Hi everybody. 

Highlighted

I sometimes see depression described as a grey fog or grey blanket over everything. For me it seems like a thick glass wall between me and the world

Highlighted

Hey everyone Smiley Happy hope we are all doing well tonight 

If you had to describe depression to someone who had never heard of it before, what would you say?

I would describe it as an extreme sadness and lack of motivation, energy and and it lasts for a long period of time. 

Hi Alikki! Welcome to yr first infobus, so stoked you could be here!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Highlighted

Welcome @ashleemaree 

That is an interesting and visual description of it.

Hi everyone, looking forward to the session tonight.

Just wondering what are the most important things I should be doing for someone who is suffereing from depression? Especially when this person is refusing professional help.

Highlighted

hey there ashleemaree - thanks for sharing your vivd description of what depression feels like for you.... it's important to hear about everyones experiences

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Highlighted

Hi ashleemaree, thanks for joining us. That description sounds spot on. It can even be described as a wet blanket, holding you down and making everything seem so much harder. It also makes us feel so seperate from others, the lonliness is awful.