cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: MHCNSW Consultation: tell us how it is

I didn't personally but I had to help my best friend.  It was difficult because the school councellor wasn't very accessable, we didn't know her and never saw her around.  So, my best friend wasn't so keen. 

Luckily, we have an amazing year coordinator who we talked to and was able to talk to her.  

It was hard to find a doctor and councellor who worked for her, she tried two and neither of them seemed to care that much, it was just a job for them.  The third one was better, she made my friend feel like she actually cared but she wasn't all that close to home so she was difficult to reach.  Trying to find a doctor that worked that was accessable was really difficult.  

Hey M-:L-W, thanks heaps for sharing about friends and family - they are such an important part of getting help for all of us!!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

they have a certain look on their face that suggests that they do not want to be there helping you. and with their notepad and pen they are constantly writing and it feels like they are critiqing you as a person and judging you for what you cant do right.

Thanks for telling us about the people who supported you Oliverose! Nice to hear that you have such great people in your life!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

What's scary about getting help for the first time????

-being looked at as weak

-being judged

- my parents being told 

-being called crazy or insane

-being called stupid or having my problems dismissed 

and so many more that is hard to explain

Everyone did. My family was so wrapped up in their own stuff that they couldn't see me. My so called friends didn't care, so now I have none.

thanks KE, great point about stigma and awareness...

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

KE

Have you ever felt really unsupported or alone with your problems? Who made you feel unsupported and why? (Again, it could be services, friends, family etc)

I felt unsupported when I talked to Mum and Dad about it. They thought I was fine because I was always pretending I was happy. They said it was a phase. So a lack of understanding. They didnt think someone who was 15 years old with a fortunate life and upbringing could be so sad when nothing had ever happened. 

And when I was discharged from the youth team. It's like as soon as you are classified as an adult, your mental health is somehow changed as well. But I was still in the same frame of mind, yet getting less help then ever. That sucked. They had sicker people than I was/am and the adult team were quick to either put me in the too hard basket or not want anything to do with me. 

Boom: awesome to have your experience as a friend and supporter! A very important perspective to have in this discussion. What was it about the counselor that wasn't accessible? Hard to get an appointment... or?

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Highlighted

Thanks littleG, that helps a lot.

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com