cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: MHCNSW Consultation: tell us how it is

Hey Kaitlyn, thanks so much for joining us! Sounds like you have some really important experiences to share. How did you find the process of being referred through school counselor - GP - psych/youth team??? It's great that they not only helped you, but also helped your family support you better.

So pleased to hear you have finally found some good support in your GP/psych.... under-resourced services are definitely an issue....

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

I have seen many different counsellors, psychologists and psychiatrists since early teen age years, none were very good, they didn't listen and palmed off what I was saying. When I finally found a good counsellor it wasn't long until they had to go and left me with nothing, no one to talk to or anything. After a while I had seek out new help. I am now seeing someone who is good but still doesn't quite listen and with some things there doesn't seem to be anything that can be done to help.

Hey Oliverose! Awesome you could make it and really pleased you finally found some good support. Soon we will be asking about what makes a negative experience - would you mind sharing a bit of insight on why the school counselors made things worse? What was it about them that was terrible???

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Thanks for sharing your experiences guys!

Next question... Think about a time when you were facing an issue and you felt very supported and not alone. Who helped you and why was it so positive? (was it family, friends, mentor, health professional etc)?

KE

I didn't want help to start because I was so terrified of everything and just wanted to keep it all bottled up. I was so confused because over the course of a few months I had gone from being so happy to so sad and felt like I had lost myself. But the GP I initially saw was really patient and understanding and he genuinely seemed he wanted to help. So I was started on medication, but I was resistant to it because I just didn't want pills to be the only thing to make me feel better. After seeing the youth team and getting a regular psychologist in the youth team, it helped to let it all out, and talk about it. I was so lost though, and I kept getting worse, so that's why I was admitted to hospital. That was the scariest thing, but with the support of staff, it ultimately saved my life. 

@Sophie-RO wrote:
Hi Doris! Thanks for coming along... so youve had lots of positive experiences when you felt you trusted the organisations but was difficult when psychologists have to move on?

In your experience, why do the psychologists have to move on? Are they changing jobs or was it that you had to move on from a child service to an adult service???

Most of the times the psychologists were part of a clinic to gain experience. They may have found another position elsewhere and decided to move there but cannot take their clients with them.

I also had an experience where it feels like you have to grow up overnight because you turned 18. So I was seeing a psychologist when I was 17 and she admitted me to an inpatient program during the HSC period so I could cope better under the care of trained professionals during the exams. I later sought this psychologist out again when I was 18 yo and discharged. I realised she treated me slightly different when I sought her out again. She didn't make as much decisions for me, asked less questions and essentially, it felt like she's given less care for me becase I was legally an adult.

I am 22 now. A lot of the services I am using is only for up to 25, so not long till I have to meet this shift again.   

Hey Kellyk! so your experience when you were a teen was mostly negative because they didn't listen and when you say 'palmed off' - were they patronising?

Sounds like you are very resilient and can keep looking for help, even when things are tough. Seems to be a bit of a common theme when professionals move on - do you know why the counselor had to leave??
Keep reaching out!!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

KE

I felt supported when my family realised what was going on and stopped passing off my depression as a phase. My older brother was really helpful, and the teachers at my school were really supportive when I was having panic attacks all the time. They didn't get angry or annoyed wih me, and were so patient. They were the ones who encouraged me to get help. And from then on everyone was so helpful. 

Hey KE - thanks so much for sharing yr experiences... What helped you when you were scared in hospital?? Did anything they did help you feel less scared?

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

What made them worse was not being aware of the kind of student they were talking to and what would help them or not. I felt like what i was going through wasnt being acknowledged as serious and that when i went the advice i was given was just what they are "told" to say. More times than not I was in their for anger or depression and what they told me just effected my mental health in a bad way. If i went their for anger they just made it worse. When I was being bullied they were making it so it felt like my pain and that torment I was going through wasn't serious