cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: MHCNSW Consultation: tell us how it is

It sounds like it's common to be anxious or worried about seeking help, but that eventually, most of us have found it useful? I wonder why it feels so scary and hard to begin with...

Hmmm interesting - thanks Doris. I think this is a bit of a common experience for young people... this is all really helpful stuff

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Think about a time when you were facing an issue and you felt very supported and not alone. Who helped you and why was it so positive? (was it family, friends, mentor, health professional etc)?

Does this have to be in NSW? The most recent experience is when I called up a helpline (usually Kidshelp line or suicide callback service and their call centres are located in QLD & VIC respectively). They helped because they listened. They asked what was wrong and sounded they geuinely cared about what was going on. The counsellors offered strategies and plans I could work on when the call ended so I am not completely alone when we hang up the call.

Thanks Oliverose for explaining, and i think by sharing this stuff with us we can improve the system so that young people going through school in the future will have a better experience. Thanks for opening up!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

They were retiring or something. No they weren't patronising but my brother was part of the reason I was seeing someone so they just put everything down to it being his fault. I also went into an adolescent mental health place which made things worse, they were really unhelpful and annoying and was all just a waste of 2 weeks in prison.

Have you ever tried to get help from a youth service or another health professional? What was that like? (it could be a service at school; or for physical health, mental health, sexual health or a doctor or counsellor)

Yes, yes I have. About a month and a bit ago, I started seeing a counsellor after my doctor referred me to her. I had gotten physical symptoms of stress and anxiety and had changed drastically in the past few months. I had known I wasn't handling the stress well, but once I started to talk to someone and they helped me sort out my issues and how to handle the things that was happening to me. This was a private counsellor, who speciallised in teenagers and younger people. 

In general, I think my past experiences with health professionals (like doctors) has been really good, but it only helps if you're willing to talk about what's up with you and how you are.
xxx

@gail wrote:

It sounds like it's common to be anxious or worried about seeking help, but that eventually, most of us have found it useful? I wonder why it feels so scary and hard to begin with...

Yea, if we can document some ideas around this, that'd be really helpful!
 What's scary about getting help for the first time????

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

KE

It was a very welcoming place. It was a small public ward, so only 8 patients. All of the nurses and doctors were lovely, and my therapist was awesome. She gave me tools to help me that I enjoyed, like painting and music. Things that made me comfortable. We got our space, but I also felt safe from myself there and after a day or so, you really saw it was a place to get better and nothing to be afraid of.

you dont know the person and you feel that they are sitting there judging your every move and not taking you seriously

Hi Alex!! Wow, such a recent experience - thanks for sharing. What helped you to feel comfortable to be willing to talk about what yr experience??

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com