cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: MHCNSW Consultation: tell us how it is

KE - was there anything that might have helped you feel less scared before you actually got to the ward?? (so cool that it sounds like a really welcoming place)

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

@Little g wrote:
you dont know the person and you feel that they are sitting there judging your every move and not taking you seriously

Yep, it's super hard to open up to someone unfamilar, hey? Do you think there is anything the person (doctor, counsellor, psychologist, etc) could do to make you more comfortable?

KE

Yea, if we can document some ideas around this, that'd be really helpful!
 What's scary about getting help for the first time????

The idea that no one would could see you are hurting, so the thought of people thinking i was faking it and ridiculing me. I didn't know what was going on with me. And I had become so used to it I didn't know what to feel anymore. I didn't know if what I was feeling was right or wrong. And I didnt want my family to get upset. 

Hey little g, yea i can totally relate to that - opening up to a stranger is hard... how do you know when someone is not taking you seriously or judging? (its important we know so we can learn not to do it!)

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Think about a time when you were facing an issue and you felt very supported and not alone. Who helped you and why was it so positive? (was it family, friends, mentor, health professional etc)?

My friends and family helped me - not a lot knew about what I was going through but the few who did were always there for me and helped me to pretend that everything was ok even if I was unsure that it was. They were always there to talk to me and although they encouraged me to seek professional help, their help was always better than what I ever got from the counsellors and psychologists because they knew me and I trusted them Smiley Happy

Think about a time when you were facing an issue and you felt very supported and not alone. Who helped you and why was it so positive? (was it family, friends, mentor, health professional etc)?

I was helped by two teachers that still to this day help me! I never have really confided in my family so I didn't tell them. I didn't have friends and bullying was normally the cause. So the two teachers were positive because they took the time out to talk to me about my problems to not judge me and give me a safe haven within school because I was so badly bullied. I also had a mentor who was just there for me he madde it easy to talk to him and use to call me at all hours in the night when i was struggling with my self harm addiction. 

What's scary about getting help for the first time????

• Appearing weak that you needed help
  • Not knowing what to expect in a therapeutic session
  • Not knowing what to say to the therapist
  • Would I need to seek this kind of help for the rest of my life? Should not seek help to start with so I dont get stuck with it?
  •  Not knowing where to find help
  • Not knowing what is wrong with you

and cats are cool

yes. but i am unsure of ways to feel comfortable. because no matter what its still uncomfortable
KE

KE - was there anything that might have helped you feel less scared before you actually got to the ward?? (so cool that it sounds like a really welcoming place)

It was five hours away so I was pretty scared- it was the closest youth ward in the state to me. I think maybe if people talked openly about mental illnesses and that it was nothing to be ashamed of. I literally went there thinking the ward would be chaos. I really don't know what could have helped- maybe if it wasnt so far away from home? Or if I knew someone who had experienced it? 

I was wondering if people had anything they wanted to share on the last question about, what have family and friends done to make you feel supported??

But we also need to move along, so we have already covered some of this, but the next question is about what doesn't help.

Have you ever felt really unsupported or alone with your problems? Who made you feel unsupported and why? (Again, it could be services, friends, family etc)

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com