cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KE

Re: MHCNSW Consultation: tell us how it is

I wish I could do more to help. Maybe one day. Thank you for giving us the opportunity, and hopefully people will put these suggestions to practice. Smiley Happy 

That's awesome that dancing helps @Little g - sometimes finding an outlet to relieve some of the feelings & thoughts can make a huge difference.

@KE wrote:

I wish I could do more to help. Maybe one day. Thank you for giving us the opportunity, and hopefully people will put these suggestions to practice. Smiley Happy 

Thanks so much for joining the convo - these conversations are the start of change and you'll all played a really valuable part tonight in sharing your stories so we can feed them back to higher powers and hopefully make changes for the better for young people across NSW. Thanks again Smiley Happy

Thanks so much to @Little g @Oliverose @KE @Doris @gail @M-L-W @Boom @Kellyk @Alex3079 @Kaitlyn-Bridget for joining in tonight!! We are going to keep this open for the next 2 days so if you know anyone else who would like to have their say, please let them know to drop by!

Here are the Qs that you can keep answering until Thursday afternoon...

1. Have you ever tried to get help from a youth service or another health professional? What was that like? (it could be a service at school; or for physical health, mental health, sexual health or a doctor or counsellor)

2. Think about a time when you were facing an issue and you felt very supported and not alone. Who helped you and why was it so positive? (was it family, friends, mentor, health professional etc)

3. Have you ever felt really unsupported or alone with your problems? Who made you feel unsupported and why? (Again, it could be services, friends, family etc)

4. Imagine there were no issues like money, waiting lists, distance or access to technology. If you were going to seek help or support for something, what would you want that process to be like in an ideal world?

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Physical activity & creativity like dance is an awesome way to maintain positive mental health...

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

KE: this helps a lot! If you are interested in volunteering with ReachOut.com we are recruiting now for moderators or keep your eye on http://au.reachout.com/Get-Involved/Youth-Ambassadors

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Thanks everyone - goodnight!

We are doing another consultation on Facebook on Thursday and Face-to-face next week. Our final report that collates all your input will be available for you to read in a few weeks. I'll post a link here!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Hiiii,

I just wanted to quickly add in my experience of the mental health profession I feel that doctors, psychologists, counsellors, everyone really, isn't really well educated about other cultures and the dynamics of different ethnic groups which makes it hard seeking help because they don't really understand how these communities work, what to expect from them, and some things that may be in a Western society (for example the way families operate) are completely different in specific cultural communities. So cultural education I feel is really really important.

Also the other way round, I think awareness of Mental illnesses and the support that is out there needs to be tailored to different communities as well in order to get their attention and allow for best exposure and understanding, that way parents can be more supportive.

I've also found doctors to not have as much knowledge on mental illnesses as you'd expect and would usually just resort to medication, rather than refer to a psychologist or counsellor, which I find useless.

1. Have you ever tried to get help from a youth service or another health professional? What was that like? (it could be a service at school; or for physical health, mental health, sexual health or a doctor or counsellor)

I have been to a doctor for physical issues and thats easier to do although she gave me a lecture for not having done what she asked of me. I haven't been back to her since or to any other GP but that probably stems from other things too Smiley Tongue

I had once been called out to the school counsellor cause my friends were worried about me. It was terrifying because I had no warning (my friends didnt tell me they told her) and I was terrified of adults. She was nice and explained everything and asked me lots of questions. Being the 'goody goody' student in class I had too many questions asked from classmates about being called out of class. I was just glad the teacher didnt say who I was seeing! lol 

2. Think about a time when you were facing an issue and you felt very supported and not alone. Who helped you and why was it so positive? (was it family, friends, mentor, health professional etc)

My close friends and KHL made me feel less alone. My friends listened to me talk and complain about things and then went on to hang out with me. They would organise activities, like bowling, rock climbing etc, and it would just be a bonding session between us and a time for me to have some fun without worrying about keeping the 'i'm fine' image. They didn't treat me any differently which made me feel normal.

KHL understood what I wanted to say and it was good being able to really talk it out with someone. It made me feel like I wasn't the only person going through it and other people had learnt to deal with it. Also learning different ways of coping. 

3. Have you ever felt really unsupported or alone with your problems? Who made you feel unsupported and why? (Again, it could be services, friends, family etc)

Yes, some of my friends did not know how to deal with me when I was in a bad place or just regarding the feelings I had. They sometimes lashed out at me telling me nasty things - mainly that I was being selfish and emo. Some of them were the friends I confided in as well.

My family didn't know about where my mental health was at the time and when I rebelled a bit I would be grounded or given a nice long lecture about bad behaviour. They didn't know how to deal with me when I was moody. It was a lack of education (my parents aren't educated) and cultural differences. Having parents who grew up in a different country and having faced different circumstances growing up, there is a gap between us. My parents are of the opinion that life here in Aus is easy and I shouldn't be acting out or being broody. 

Some KHL counsellors didn't really listen. When I needed to talk to someone and my counsellor wasn't working that day I would talk to someone else. It was always amusing when they forgot I was already talking to someone else. Smiley Tongue Sometimes it was cultural differences, because they did not know what family life is like or how my own family heirarchy works, some of their suggestions may have worked in a different household but it would not work in mines - I think it made them feel I was resistant to try to make a change in my life. 

Oh, also in high school when we were discussing mental health in our physical education classes, there would always be a few outspoken students who would vocally put down people who struggled with mental health. It made me feel like I couldnt ever speak up about it. 

4. Imagine there were no issues like money, waiting lists, distance or access to technology. If you were going to seek help or support for something, what would you want that process to be like in an ideal world?

- having the same counsellor who understand you or at least having fewer changes 

- not having the separate adult and child services ie having them as an integrated whole, the transition between different services due to age is very black and white. Just because I turn 18 or 25, I suddenly know what I want to do in terms of asking for help. It's good to know where you can ask for help when youre looking, in terms of the age, but if you're already in the system and its working, its hard to have to start with someone new. 

- better cultural awareness and understanding as well as of the individual who is seeking help

- GPs being more aware of mental health and being friendlier

- teachers being more aware of mental health issues and being equipped to help 

- no stigma associated with asking for help

sorry its so long! Smiley Tongue