cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: NAIDOC week Facebook Live and Ask a Pro: Live discussion with Career Trackers (July 8th 2019)

@polyphemus16 @angelerinah @letshaveayarn  It's so nice to meet you all! Smiley Happy

Re: NAIDOC week Facebook Live and Ask a Pro: Live discussion with Career Trackers (July 8th 2019)

I guess I'll speak to truth for this theme. As mentioned in the panel discussion Truth to me is an incredibly important and vital element of this years theme and from my perspective Truth means having open and honest conversations about First Nations culture, history and peoples. What will come with truth and these conversations is that it will bring trauma, story telling that has been passed on for tens of thousands of years and some confronting truths in which some may be uncomfortable with however in order for us in Australia to have true reconciliation truth needs to be told across the nation from educational institutions to workplaces to your own family and friends. 

Its really powerful to hear how voice is an important component of your life @angelerinah Heart Voice for young Aboriginal people in the juvenile justice sector is so important and something that was strongly highlighted in the Facebook Live

Check out our community activities calendar for November 2019 here

@angelerinah that's such a powerful point about voice truth and treaty relying on each other in order for any of them to occur!

@polyphemus16 i really loved the way you explored self-empowerment and self-determination as relating to treaty in the live video Heart such important discussions for the government to start having!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're having a SLOW-MO Getting Real chat to do with Dealing with the Holiday Season, starting on Monday the 9th of December! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart

I would be interested to hear from our community, after hearing from our speakers, what does Voice. Treaty. Truth mean to you? 

Check out our community activities calendar for November 2019 here

@Jess1-RO a really big take away for me after the panel was the importance of listening to the lived experience of first nation peoples and having the hard conversations. Being open to learning and understanding other perspectives and to really engage with what you learn, not just passively absorb it. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're having a SLOW-MO Getting Real chat to do with Dealing with the Holiday Season, starting on Monday the 9th of December! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart

@elca34, 100% education and empathy is the most important aspect for both indigenous and non-indigenous people. As Ganur said during the panel discussion, without empathy and understanding other peoples perspectives, education can go in the wrong direction.

@letshaveayarn @polyphemus16  @angelerinah  Those are some great answers! I agree with many of your points.

@Jess1-RO  I am not Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander, so I am unable to speak for this community, but I agree with those principles, particularly truth. Truth can mean possessing integrity, taking responsibility for your actions, being yourself and having the courage to express your ideas and opinions and stand up for yourself.

@ecla34 thanks for joining in and engaging with the conversation. We've talked to education as the key point when it comes to talking to First Nations history, culture and peoples and developing our understandings as much as possible. From a personal perspective I believe education is the key to this years theme of Voice Treaty Truth and the more we learn the better we can be! 

Highlighted

@letshaveayarn for people looking to learn more and grow their understanding, what do you think would be a good starting place? Aside from chatting with the First Nations people in their lives?

(Absolutely loved how you ran the FB live by the way! Heart)