cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: NAIDOC week Facebook Live and Ask a Pro: Live discussion with Career Trackers (July 8th 2019)

Thank you so much to everyone joining us tonight! @lennycat2017 @WheresMySquishy @ecla34 and everyone viewing 

First question for our panelists:

1. Tell us a bit about yourselves

Check out our community activities calendar for July 2019 here

Re: NAIDOC week Facebook Live and Ask a Pro: Live discussion with Career Trackers (July 8th 2019)

My name's Ganur. I'm a descendant of the Kamileroi people but I grew up all over the country, spending most of my childhood in Newcastle. I moved down to Sydney in 2013 to start an Arts/Law degree at UNSW with a major in history. Since then I've worked in a few different areas of legal practice, including at the Australian Law Reform Commission's report into Indigenous incarceration rates and in Herbert Smith Freehill's pro bono team, helping out with Uluru Statement education programs. 

My name is Bianca Hunt and I am a proud Kamilaroi and Barkindji Woman on my fathers side and proud Ballardong and Wadjak Woman on my mothers side. Was born and raised in Brisbane QLD and currently live in Sydney NSW (still a proud qldr when it comes to Origin tho Smiley Wink). I have a Bachelor of Business in Management and Bachelor of Creative Industries in Entertainment Industries from the Queensland University of Technology Class of 2017 and currently work for SBS. Looking forward to answering some of your questions!

Hi everyone! 

Angel here, I hope you all enjoyed the discussion and took something away from it. 

I just wanted to extend on my own introduction, apart from my education and where I was brought up, I have 9 siblings and I am the fourth eldest. I have been to 9 different schools which was both a challenge and brought positivity to my life. 

Please ask questions! I'm keen to get the discussion going.

TIA!

Just a quick note that our guests are also using anonymous names @letshaveayarn is Bianca, @polyphemus16 is Ganur, @angelerinah is Angel! 

@angelerinah wow 9 schools, that does sound challenging! Did you have a favourite?

@lennycat2017 such a good point about education being a theme, it really sounds like it stands at the core of empathy and understanding Heart

Hey @ecla34, thanks for the question! I went to St Mary's Senior for years 11 and 12, and that was the best education I had every had and really sparked my passion for university and above.

Question 2: Let’s recap the Facebook Live discussion here by breaking down the theme for NAIDOC week 2019!

What does voice, treaty, truth mean to you?

Voice is the most important element for me since it is at the root of why I am pursuing a career in Forensic Psychology. Voice in parliament is something that Australia needs in order for treaty and truth to occur and therefore, not one of each of the elements are sufficient on their own. Giving our people a voice can start with working to decrease the incarceration rates of Aboriginal people and I am going to do this by working with juveniles in the hopes that they become the voice for Aboriginal people. Giving them the confidence and avenues to feel comfortable voicing their concerns and positivity is the most important thing for younger Aboriginal people.

Great question, as I mentioned with respect to treaty, the big idea is that First Nations never ceded sovereignty and therefore should be able to negotiate with the government to find our rightful place. To me, treaaty means empowerment, the righting of a historical wrong, and recognising the legal rights that Indigenous peoples have been denied.