cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: RUOK? chat: Stop little problems becoming bigger

@this is jess wrote:

So, guys, we've got a good selection of barriers. Now for the tricky question!  How can these barriers can be overcome?

One thing people can do is a little research. Look around for stories of what happened when others revealed their problems to their friends and how that went. There's plenty of evidence out there that shows positive results have a good chance of happening. Most friends are generally supportive.

A quick browse of the personal stories on this site are proof of that. Smiley Happy

Love that quote from Princess Ali, Soph.

How can these barriers can be overcome?

Maybe by doing some research beforehand on possible avenues you can use to get help. Like for example, making a list of websites or helplines, health professionals (such as a GP) or people (friends, family members, teachers) who may be able to help you and how you think they could help. I also like doing a bit of thought challenging to try and combat my negative assumptions about help seeking and boost my confidence a bit. Lastly, I also like to plan what I'm going to say beforehand (usually I write it down) so I feel less nervous and have got it with me if I get stuck and don't know what to say.

I find that seeking help online can be a good first step- often less scary than seeking help in person.
Highlighted

4. If you have a problem, who are you most likely to go to? Why do you choose this person?

I definitely agree about seeking help online Cassie. I started out seeking help online which made it a lot easier to do in person because I already had a little bit of practice at seeking help and had the support of my online counsellor to seek help IRL too.

That's an awesome way of overcoming those barriers DD! I like to write things down and think about them beforehand too.

Good point Lex! Physical barriers like living remotely can also be overcome with online help services like the online counseling that more and more services are offering these days. Typing and chatting with a counselor online is good first step and a lot less scary too! You can even cut and paste posts you've made in forums or emails in the past about how you are feeling. Sometimes that is easier than trying to start from scratch...

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

This is going to sound lame, but when I first have a problem, I go to twitter. Mainly because I know that it's a supportive environment and that people there have gone through similar stuff, and they can point me in the right direction of help. I often find being responsible for the decision to seek help scary--which is something I'm working on!

Oh SNAP Cass!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Q: If you have a problem, who are you most likely to go to? Why do you choose this person?

A: I'm probably likely to look up information online first, and then depending on what it is I might talk to my sister or my best mate...

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com