cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RUOK? chat: Stop little problems becoming bigger

LIVE CHAT this Thursday 7pm: Following on from R U OK? Day last week, we’ll be chatting about stopping little problems becoming big problems – you’ll even get a chance to hear what Wendell Sailor has to say!

Join us on facebook (http://www.facebook.com/ReachOutAUS) or here in the forums if you’d like to chat more in depth or be anonymous.

R U OK? Ambassador and former professional rugby player Wendell Sailor knows all about tackling problems before they get out of hand and knowing that it's okay to rely on teammates for support.

Whether you're feeling alone, anxious, depressed or overwhelmed, these are common experiences of going through a tough time. The great thing is that support is always available.

Reaching out to discuss a problem doesn't only help you but also provides you with a fresh perspective from someone else.  There are many help options including someone you trust like your brother, sister, friend, mum, colleague, teacher, teammate or health professional.  

Other services include the likes of: - Lifeline (13 11 14) - Kids Helpline (1800 55 1800)  - 1800 RUOKDAY (7865329).  The best way to stop little problems from becoming bigger is to act now and ask for help. If you've got something that's worrying you speak up.

Don't be afraid to ask someone for help, we all need it sometime. It might take a bit of courage but the sooner the better. ReachOut.com is teaming up with RUOK? to tackle the issue of small problems from becoming bigger.

Join us here at 7:00pm (AEST) on September 20th to chat and hear from Wendell Sailor himself what he thinks about this issue!!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Re: RUOK? chat: Stop little problems becoming bigger

Hey everyone & welcome aboard! There are cookies for everyone tonight! (On the table to the left.) 

Welcome to "Stop little problems becoming bigger: speak up!" Tonight, we have Cassie and this is Jess on board to have a chat, alongside the ever-lovely ReachOut.com moderator, Sophie! As you might've seen, R U OK? Ambassador and former professional rugby player Wendell Sailor knows all about tackling problems before they get out of hand and knowing that it's okay to rely on teammates for support.

So, whether you're feeling alone, anxious, depressed or overwhelmed, these are common experiences of going through a tough time. The great thing is that support is always available. Reaching out to discuss a problem doesn't only help you but also provides you with a fresh perspective from someone else.

As always, we want to keep this conversation safe and supportive for everyone, so check out the ReachOut.com guidelines (http://forums.au.reachout.com/t5/Welcome-and-Announcements/Forum-amp-Commenting-Guidelines/m-p/16#U1... before you post, and if you feel overwhelmed or struggling with this topic, there's always help available!

Lifeline (13 11 14)
Kids Helpline (1800 55 1800)
1800 RUOKDAY (7865329)

This forum will be locked after the discussion, but you can always come back and check out what we talked about later, and if you have any other questions, you're more than welcome to email crew@reachout.com.

So, our first question is (drumroll please!): In the video, Wendell said "The longer you leave it, the harder it gets" and "The sooner you reach out, the better." Have people had experiences where they reached out early on and it helped to stop problems becoming even bigger ones? 

Yay, cookies! Smiley Happy Thank you. I'm a big fan of Wendell and big fan of what he said in the video too Smiley Very Happy. I have definitely had experiences where reaching out early has stopped little problems turning into bigger ones. I find it gets harder to reach out the longer you leave it.

Yes definitely reaching out early does have its benefits and there are times when I wish I'd have asked for help earlier actually instead of waiting until it gets worse.

Hey DD! and yea it definitely helps to reach out early! I reckon - like Wendell - some of us also have the experience of waiting too long to ask for help. But then it's such a relief when we do!!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

2. What are some barriers that may be stopping you or others from seeking help?

Hey Jess and Cass! Smiley Tongue Thanks for facilitating tonight!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

@Sophie: Yeah, I find I get so worked up about asking for help that I can put it off, but it feels so much better when I've actually done it and it's usually a lot less scary than I thought it would be!

Hey DD & Cass! Totes agree with you both--reaching out is pretty awesome! 

For me, the biggest barrier is fear. Sometimes my mind tells me that people won't like me, or they'll judge me, if I ask for help. I'm the sort of person who feels like they have to be perfect all the time--but I'm starting to learn that it's completely okay to ask for help!

What are some barriers that may be stopping you or others from seeking help?

• Worrying about what people think of you/ your reason for asking for help
  • Worrying that you won't get the response you're looking for
  • Not knowing who to ask for help
  • Wanting to be independent and work it out yourself (althought this probably links in with my first point)