cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: RUOK? chat: Stop little problems becoming bigger

DD: Definitely, I could relate to those barriers you mentioned.

I think sometimes the fear is also about feeling like there is no use, no one can help. It's that pesky negative thinking getting in the way again...

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Love what you are posting DD, do you mind if I quote you on Facebook (anonymously of course) ??? Smiley Happy

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Good point Soph!

I like to apply the "objective rule" when thinking about asking for help: if a friend was having the same problem, would I want them to ask for help? Would I offer them help? 

Sometimes it's useful to think of that instead of getting trapped in the vortex of negativity (which can be very easy to do!)

Yeah go ahead Sophie Smiley Happy Glad I can help!

From Princess Ali on Facebook: "I would have to say leaving it longer made the situation harder. I have now learnt that if I don't feel okay, it is okay to talk up Smiley Happy"

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Yeah I definitely agree with what you're saying about the negative thinking Sophie, thinking that no one can help you is definitely a big barrier too.

@this is jess: Love the sound of the objective rule! I'll have to try and use that in my own life.

So, guys, we've got a good selection of barriers. Now for the tricky question!  How can these barriers can be overcome?

(Am totes looking forward to your answers!)

I love your objective rule Jess - such a great idea

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

An important point from one of our Facebook members: "Help in the form of a psychiatrist is not affordable for someone on a disability support pension. That is a big barrier."

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com