cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [SPECIAL GUEST] Dealing with feelings

Oooh good question @j95 haha Coincidentally we have a question pretty much EXACTLY like that in like 2 questions time Smiley Tongue 

When it hits you hard and fast, and the skills you've tried aren't working, it can be good to give yourself some space from it and distract until you can cope with it a little better.

I think it's ok to get help on any end of the spectrum, early intervention is great but sometimes things hit without warning and that's ok too
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

Yep @redhead we can't always see something coming, sometimes things just... happen! 

That is so true. Feelings can sneak up on us, but we will be exploring what to do a little later. Smiley Happy

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ
Highlighted

Some really insightful responses. I think we've established that there is an importance in developing coping mechanisms but also having an idea of noticing when things get uncomfortable and uneasy. Help is always available. 

The next question is:

What are some healthy ways to deal with big feelings before they get too overwhelming?

What does everyone think? 

What are some healthy ways to deal with big feelings before they get too overwhelming?

For me exercise is a big help, if I notice things are starting to head down hill I get out. Talking to someone is also great, whether a friend, therapist helpline etc. Being creative. Mindfulness is fantastic too. Meditation can also be a great help
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

Having a good balance in your like is a great way to prevent them from coming in the first place - fun, achievement, chill out time. Ways to prevent them getting to big are to 1. notice them - when we are aware of our feelings we can manage them better; 2. use good skills to calm our emotions - slow breathing, relaxation, mindfulness, positive self talk, exercise; 3. reach out earlier - talking really can help us get things off our chest; and 4. distract - this can be helpful (but shouldn't be used too much, we do need to work through our feelings at some point.

I find talking to people about what is going on very helpful. Also using skills I learnt in therapy to combat my negative thinking. But most of the time, it is all about practicing mindfulness. Smiley Happy

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

I think a really important one is learning to recognise the signs. Sometimes these can be triggers like @redhead said, sometimes it might be that you start to notice when you're feeling like things are getting overwhelming, or the emotions are about to get intense, even if you don't know why just yet. Then getting some space, trying distraction and coping techniques and giving your body and brain some time to slow down again.