cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [SPECIAL GUEST] Dealing with feelings

What are some healthy ways to deal with big feelings before they get too overwhelming?

Distraction is good but can be unhealthy if its used as substitute to facing the feelings. They should be used together, like when you have nobody you can turn to for a short time or in a crisis.

I think learning to sit with the uncomfortable feelings and recognize that they are there and sometimes you cannot change that, so for me when I'm angry instead of trying to get rid of it, I have a few things I do which help, of course thats only when I'm noticing they are an issue not when things get really really bad cause then its time to seek some help.

I think also recognizing your triggers as well so you are aware.

//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

What are some healthy ways to deal with big feelings before they get too overwhelming?

As others have mentioned, I find exercising or talking it out is probably the best way to deal with feelings healthily before they escalate.

Highlighted

Welcome @Richardman

I have to agree with Exercising as well. It's especially effective when you set yourself small goals. I love the concept of creativeness as well and having an outlet to free yourself. 

That's right @j95 we should use it in moderation...

I am going to answer this question twice Smiley Tongue 

Another thing to do is practice communication skills. Sometimes the way other people act can be pretty triggering. Learning how to tell other people what you need and what might be wrong can actually help head off the intense emotions! 

Hey @Richardman sounds like you have some awesome coping skills when it comes to dealing with emotions.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

Hey @Richardman !

That's right Ben, and learning who your helpful support networks are.

Heres @Alikki with another anonymous question and answer! Let us know your thoughts Smiley Happy 

And to our second anonymous question for the evening and my answer... 

1. How do I learn to cope with feelings when my whole life I've been told feelings are wrong and never learnt to deal with them properly. I tend to ignore them til they explode and get too out of hand so I use negative coping strategies or turn to suicidal thoughts. I don't know how to sit with a feeling without trying to get rid of it.

I’m sorry that this is the way you have learnt to manage your feelings, but there is still hope! When we are adolescents, our brains are still developing, so it’s a good time to learn some skills and strategies to better manage our emotions (and even when we are adults our brains can still change – its called neuroplasticity).

A lot of people try to push yucky feelings away because they’re really uncomfortable, but like you said, they then explode and get out of hand. Negative coping strategies need to be replaced with more helpful strategies to manage our emotions, and like anything, the more we practice it, the better we get at managing it. Some great skills and strategies include mindfulness (which teaches us how to “sit with it”), slow breathing exercises (which help us to calm our stress, worry and anger), and exercise (which helps our brain and body to function better). Even things like yoga are really really helpful. There’s a lot of helpful info online (like on ReachOut.com) that can provide strategies to help cope, as can talking to a counsellor.

Suicidal thoughts can be a symptom of depression and need to be taken seriously, so if you are having these thoughts it will help to talk it through with a trusted adult (parent, other family member, teacher, GP, counsellor, HelpLine) to come up with a management strategy.