cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [SPECIAL GUEST] Dealing with feelings

Self talk is the way we talk to ourselves, our thoughts in relation to ourself and our world. Our thoughts have a surprisingly big impact on our lives. For example, if I were to think sad thoughts, I would have sad feelings, if I were to have angry thoughts I would have angry feelings. It can be hard to change our thought patterns, but if we practice positive self talk, and look for things we do well, this will help.

What is self-talk? How can we work towards more positive self-talk?

I think we all have a view of ourselves, we think we are good at some things and not so good at other things. We have opinions about what might happen in the future and how we will be able to handle those things. Sometimes we can give ourselves less credit about what we are capable of than we should and that's negative self-talk.

Positive self talk can start with being aware that we might sometimes be a bit hard on ourselves.

We can keep going by giving ourselves a bit more credit and thinking about what we did well in a situation, or some of the positive things that we could do to make good stuff that we want to happen happen. 

Self talk is the thoughts we tell ourselves about what's going on. I really struggle with self talk. It's one thing that gets me down because I have unhealthy patterns of thinking that's on auto pilot. But saying that it's something I'm working on and addressing with my therapist.
For me hearing voices is kinda like negative self talk but turned into personalities. So thats something else I'm also trying to address
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

Self-talk is basically our inner voice, how we talk to ourselves. We can work in positive talk, by turning negatives into positives.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

How do you manage your emotions without having to talk or share it someone? How can I be kind to myself and give power to my own voice instead of others?

I'm in the same boat, where I feel like it is difficult to manage my emotions as I have noone to talk to (unless in serious crisis where I have people to go to if I have to). I use other techniques which work good,  but there still seems to be a gap.

I'm starting to ackowledge my thouhgts and be kinder to myself, which helps

You're right @redhead, these things can be on "autopilot", and can take a bit of practice to change. I'm glad you're working on them with your therapist.

And that is all we have time for for now everyone! I would like to say a HUGE thanks to @Alikki

THANKS!

Get it, because the font is really big? Hehe. Please say thanks to her! 

You can keep talking about this here although @Alikki gets to go to bed now. 

Thank you to everyone for their amazing contributions tonight! Talk to you all real soon! 

Thanks everyone for turning out this evening, we have had a great discussion! And here is the jist of it all. Smiley Happy

We all agreed that big feelings are okay at times as it is a natural response, but it is the impact of this that is not okay. They can often lead to uncomfortable feelings and behaviours. Such as thoughts of harm to self and others. You become triggered by things that normally don’t worry you, but it is also important to reachout when things aren’t all that bad so as you can build coping mechanisms and support circles.

We came up with some things we can do to help ourselves with these feelings before we become overwhelmed include:

• Enjoying the great outdoors
  • Talking to someone we trust or calling a helpline
  • Being aware of our feelings and staying calm
  • Recognising our triggers
  • And if all else fails, distract ourselves.

We also discussed what to do when someone else behaviour is causing you these emotions. It is all about having respect for yourself and others. So essentially what we spoke about last night. Smiley Happy

We spoke about our love of loom bands!

When it came to dealing with ‘yucky’ feelings everyone talked about all their different coping techniques that can mostly be found on this awesome thread.

Having a tool/calm box (read shoe box) was mentioned as a way to help us remember all the awesome coping strategies that work for us when our brain is in distress. As well as having a good social support network and crisis numbers nearby.

Another way that these ‘yucky’ feelings can be managed is by practicing self-talk. This can be done in our thread, turning negatives into positives.

If you would like to continue this discussion, then you can do so here.

A special thankyou goes out to @Alikki for helping us out tonight. Smiley Happy

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

Thanks everyone, it was great talking to you all.
Highlighted

Thanks @Alikki! It was a wonderful chat everyone! Thanks for your participation. 

Looking forward to the next one!

Good Night!