cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[SPECIAL GUEST] Family Dramas

On Thursday 17th December at 9pm our special guest for our Infobus chat is Carpell from the Respect Protect Connect (RPC) program. He runs school workshops around healthy relationships and anti-violence. Here is Carpell with his colleague Hayley (who has also been an Infobus special guest!).

This Infobus is a focused around conflict and violence within families. which is a bit of a heavy topic and if you want to join in, remember: it's super important to look after yourself!

If you would like to continue reading this thread or join in on the live discussion, please make sure you look after yourself too!

Here are some things to think about: 

• Sometimes you might have unexpected feelings after talking about a tough times topic like this. 
  • If at any time that happens, it's important to talk to someone about it call or chat with KHL
  •  Sometime tough times topics can make your remember experiences you might have had and the feelings associated with them. 
  •  You might realise something you thought was okay is actually not okay. 
  •  If either of these things happen it's important to talk about them with someone who can support you call 1800RESPECT 

Re: [SPECIAL GUEST] Family Dramas

Family can be awesome.

Family can be a supportive place to get help in tough times, to learn about who you are and where you come from and to feel safe.

For a lot of people, family isn't awesome. 

Australia has a big secret .... Family Violence happens and it happens a lot. 

1 in 4 children witness domestic and family violence in the home and 1 in 3 young people who have a boyfriend or girlfriend experience violence and abuse in that relationship (Indermaur, 2001).

And yet we're only just starting to talk about it with eachother. We are not very good at recognising it and we don't know how to keep ourselves and other people safe. A lot of people are still learning to recognise that what they are doing is a type of family violence. A lot of people are still learning to recognise when something is not okay and what to do about it. 

Family violence happens when people act in a way that attempts to take power over and control of other members of the family. 0.-Power-and-Control-Wheel (1).png

But there is another way- Equality!

0.-Equality-Wheel.png

Next Thursday at 9:00 AEDT we'll be joined by two people who can help us learn more about recognising the signs of family violence what to do about it. 

For this Infobus we're joined by Carpell and Sydell who run school workshops around healthy relationships and anti-violence with young people in the Respect Protect Connect (RPC) program at the South Eastern Centre Against Sexual Assualt (SECASA) in Melbourne.    

Would you like to know more about how to stay safe in your situation?

Would you like to know more about how to keep your friends safe?

Are you worried that some of the things you do might be about power and control?

Ask Carpell or Sydell a question by clicking here

Hey everyone! 

Tonight i am heaps excited to welcome @Carp and @Sydel SECASA from the Respect Protect Connect (RPC)

Thanks to all of you who submitted questions tonight, Carpel and Sydell have written up some answers which we'll share through the night as we explore the issue surrounding Family Violence. 

Just a reminder, this is a tough times topic, so it's extra important to look after yourself.

It's also important to have a read of the Guidelines, in particular, please don't say anything that might be triggering for other people!

If you find this topic is making you feel a bit funny it's okay to switch off.

And as said in the first post on this thread, here are some things to  remember: 

• Sometimes you might have unexpected feelings after talking about a tough times topic like this. 
  • If at any time that happens, it's important to talk to someone about it call or chat with KHL
  •  Sometime tough times topics can make your remember experiences you might have had and the feelings associated with them. 
  •  You might realise something you thought was okay is actually not okay. 
  •  If either of these things happen it's important to talk about them with someone who can support you call 1800RESPECT 

And without further ado, here's the first Q!

How do you decide what is okay and what is not okay behaviour in your family?

Hi all!

My family doesn't have the greatest dynamic, so I don't know if I can answer the question well. I can give some examples of not-great behaviour, like ignoring and not validating feelings

Heya everyone!

Umm ... this is kind of a tricky one because my family is fluent in sarcasm and like to prank one another. But I guess at the end of the day, making someone feel uncomfortable, degrading them, laying hands on one another and general disrespect.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

Well, i guess there's two ways of looking at this. One way of looking at it is to think about what stuff is bad and not okay. But I like to think of it in terms of the important things that i need from my family. So I think of it in terms of being loved, respected, listened too, and safe. As long as people in my family are having a go at doing that, and as long as i remember to do it back I reckon most behaviour is going to be okay. 

Highlighted

Oooh its working now, yay. hi everyone
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Hey @j95 ! Welcome! Sorry about not being able to post. That was my bad...

Spot on! It depends on the family dynamics but if if it is disrespecful, then thats not a good foundation