cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [SPECIAL GUEST] Family Dramas

Sadly it can be invalidated by many. Violence is violence regardless of gender, and sexuality. It is often tough for male survivors to reach out as they might feel stigmaitised

Why do you think that males are so much more likely to be the ones who act violently?

Well since violent behaviour is still pretty gendered, acting out violently still seems to be the most acceptable way for men to express their feelings. Even though society is starting to understand that it's okay for men to have healthier outlets for anger, hurt, etc., it still seems like men are encouraged to be aggressive more than anything else. 

That being said though, violence isn't necessarily physical, but I'm not sure how to answer the question re. non-physical types of violence

Bye @redhead! Thanks for coming out, and have a good night Smiley Happy

Why are males always getting ‘bashed’ in the media when females can be really abusive and controlling too in relationships and families?  

I guess it is because you can't see the mind and how it truly f*cks with people when they are in abusive relationships. Where as you can see the effects of physical violence and if the media can't get a story out of it with 'wow' factor, then they don't want to know about it. 

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

We have many male survivors of family violence come through our doors. It takes many of them a while but we are here to support them when they are ready

• Is family just partners? Is it still family violence if children are hurt? I feel like the media only shows violence between partners.

An important aspect of family violence is that it is controlling or violent behaviour. This can affect anyone from the children or partner/s. Kids often have to deal with seeing the violence or are neglected if parents cannot attend to childrens needs.

I think the media are getting better at raising awareness that kids get hurt too by family violence too

Why do you think that males are so much more likely to be the ones who act violently?

I think it all comes down to gender stereotypes, but also because of what culture tells people what they can and can't do. So some are unwilling to change their behaviours even though society now says that it is wrong.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

Here's our next group question!

What are some ways to ask RUOK? If you think a friend of yours is experiencing family violence?

Highlighted

What are some ways to ask RUOK? If you think a friend of yours is experiencing family violence?

Hey whats up? Just wondering if you’re okay coz u havent seemed like urself lately.

Definitely still famil violence if children are hurt. I think a good example of this in the media is with Rosie and Luke Batty, Luke was a child who had the worst possible thing happen to him as a direct result of family violence