cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: [SPECIAL GUEST] Feeling anxious?

That's a great explanation jesseka_grace (I'll use that one myself!!).

Ohhh nice description Jesseka_grace! That's a great way to help people understand....

And that kind of leads into my answer about the latest question.... Everyone feels anxious sometimes – worried or afraid of something happening, or obsessed about something happening in a certain way. When that fear or anxiety becomes something that gets in the way of your life (school or work, relationships, ability to enjoy things or cope), doesn’t go away and causes you distress, that is when it could be a more serious anxiety disorder...

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Yes

Stress begins to come an anger and frustration thing for me, it doesn't really make me worried but it would probably contribute to how worried I get when I am genuinely worried about something like my reports.

If youre feeling feel stressed or anxious does that mean you have anxiety? What’s the difference?
The difference between having anxiety and not having anxiety, is that usual a normal person with anxiety has a clear trigger for there anxiety or stress but once this trigger or event has passed they normal move on and do not have many severe symptoms that people with anxiety do have. Also to have anxiety, I believe you have to be having constant day to day worries for a period of 6 months ( don't quote me on that) to be diagnosed, usually anxiety sufferers have severe constant worry over many simple day to day events everyday, usually the anxiety becomes so consuming that it effects our day to day living, without treatment of course! Smiley Happy

Welcome to RO @BugsyB!

The second set of anonymous questions I’m going to answer together: “How could you start the conversation about stress when it's taken out using anger?" and "What is the best way to manage stressful situations involving family/friends?"

My answer: This can be a difficult thing to do for all of us, and the answer will depend a lot on who the person is and their relationship with you. 

One thing to remember is that while a person is super-stressed out/anxious, their thinking brain (the part of the brain that helps us to solve problems and make good decisions) isn’t working as well as it would if it was calm, so people are more likely to over-react, or react in ways that they wouldn’t normally. Because of that, it is probably be best to wait until the person is calm and then bring it up with them in a gentle way (or even in a letter) so they can process it a bit better. You could talk to them about how their expression is affecting you using “I” statements, for example… “when I am yelled at it makes me sad/nervous”, this is less confronting for them than saying “when you do this…”. Depending on who the person is, you could suggest they see their GP, or a counsellor for other ways of expressing their stress, or show them some info from places like ReachOut.com or even talk to them about some of the strategies we’re talking about tonight.

Now, to ask all of you a question: Have you ever found it hard to tell someone that you need help? Or has it been hard to figure out who to tell? Why? 

Hey @BugsyB - welcome!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Have you ever found it hard to tell someone that you need help? Or has it been hard to figure out who to tell? Why?

Yeah for sure! I answer yes to both questions. It's hard to figure out who to tell because you don't want what you tell them spread everywhere, them to laugh in your face. You have to be able to trust and feel comfortable with the person.
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Yeah, sometimes it's taken me weeks to tell someone I need help but I've known who I've wanted to talk to which is a teacher I used to have. I think I just found it hard to tell them because I was going to email them and writing isn't my strong point so it took a while trying to figure out what to write. In the end I ended up just writing one sentence that summed up how I was feeling and we talked about it more the day later.