cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [SPECIAL GUEST] Feeling anxious?

And your anxiety makes you worry more about these sorts of things than you normally would...

Have you ever found it hard to tell someone that you need help? Or has it been hard to figure out who to tell? Why? 

ALL the time. In the past I've felt that anxiety was who I am and absolutely controlled my life. I was dealing with generalised anxiety disorder and panic disorder. I found it so hard to tell people and reach out for help. Eventually I went to my GP about it and she referred me to an amazing psychologist and we worked really hard on coping strategies. 

It's hard because it's so invisible, and people don't often know until you've told them. However, the majority of people who I have told have been able to relate to what I've felt and have been really kind, understanding and supportive.

Anxiety still effects me, but I know what works for me to deal with it. I'm really proud of how far I've come with it.

I also had a severe dog phobia. I had three months of intensive systematic desensitisation therapy when I was 16, and it worked! Now I love playing with dogs. Having that phobia dictated so much of my childhood. My anxiety was so visible to other people because they would see me freaking out or getting upset over dogs.

Sounds like people are having similar experiences, it's not easy....

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

I'm glad you had someone you felt like you could open up to, its a difficult thing to do. 

Have you ever found it hard to tell someone that you need help? Or has it been hard to figure out who to tell? Why?
Oh my gosh, yes! It is awfully hard to speak up and some that hey, I need help over here, I am not doing well! I found it the most difficult due to me, not really understanding what was going on, of course I had heard of anxiety but I had no idea that anxiety is what was wrong, another big point for me finding it hard was not wanting to be a burden or to worry my family but it turns out that letting them know was the best thing I ever did.
I also first of all let my favorite teacher at school know what I was feeling first before I told my parents so that I could let someone know and work up the confidence to tell my parents.
Highlighted

That does sound tough Florenceforver, but I think you've shown us how you can over come this and enjoy things you once feared. Thanks!

Thanks jesseka_grace, it sounds like teachers can be a good resource! 

I don't have anxiety but I do have other problems regarding school so I don't know how hard it'd be to talk about anxiety to others. I do know that I like to email people and if they want a follow up chat I'll be happy to do that. Just starting the conversation and the first time telling them how you feel is the hardest.

I agree FootyFan26, the first part can be the hardest. I think having things like email can make it easier if we know who to send it to. 

Great to hear that although people find it hard to reach out, they have eventually found a way that works for them a lot of the time (and supportive people to talk to!)

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com