cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [SPECIAL GUEST] Feeling anxious?

People who recognise that others might be feeling anxious (but are too scared to ask for help) and talk to them are awesome. I used to be a super anxious kid when I was heaps younger, like primary school days and I didn't really have any friends or anything I used to just sit inside by myself all the time and I'm really glad there are people out there that go to the effort to talk to people who are a bit like that and need someone to ask them if they are ok, in order for them to speak up.
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Thank you so much all for your thoughtful, honest and open answers so far.... moving on Can you think of some of the common misconceptions or myths about anxiety? Maybe you have personally experienced some?

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

I'm glad there are those people too, we need more of them!!

Yeah @j95 I really appreciate people like that asking but I always tend to push them away... even when I'm not okay.

Can you think of some of the common misconceptions or myths about anxiety? Maybe you have personally experienced some?

- Anxiety isn't 'real'

- "All you need to do is relax" - NOPE

Has to be the right time yeah? @FootyFan26 sometimes you want to talk other times nah
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

That happens a fair bit FootyFan26, and then we feel even worse! It can be helpful to (when you are feeling ok) let people know what you need when you're not coping... 

I guess it just has to be the right person @j95. There's only a select handful of them.

I hate those myths florenceforever!! They make it hard for people to open up and get support. 

Highlighted

Can you think of some of the common misconceptions or myths about anxiety? Maybe you have personally experienced some?
That people with anxiety experience it all the time.
That we are crazy and shouldn't be friends with. Unfortunately I have experienced this one, after I confided in a friends about my anxiety, she dropped of the face of my world.
That breathing into a brown paper bag works, it doesn't I disproved that one myself. haha
That avoid situations that give you anxiety will cure you, this one so isn't true. This is an avoidance behaviour and in turn makes the anxiety around the event or trigger worse due to the avoiding it and not showing your brain that everything is actually okay.