cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [SPECIAL GUEST] Feeling anxious?

Well we also wrote an article about 8 anxiety myths - and we busted them.... One of my favourites is:

People who have anxiety just need to relax (hi florence!)

This is about as absurd as telling someone with a broken leg to just get it together and run a race – it just ain’t gonna happen....

More: http://au.reachout.com/8-myths-about-anxiety-destroyed

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Can you think of some of the common misconceptions or myths about anxiety? Maybe you have personally experienced some

That you can just "get better" by "positive thinking". I'm probably going to go on a rant here but I'll try not to. Last night I got so angry. This kid my brother goes to school with posted a huge paragraph on Facebook about how anxiety and depression aren't real and if you just think happy thoughts everything will be ok and that anxiety is just a silly made up thing.
Did not go down well with anyone.

//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Seems like (unfortunately) a lot of us have come across a lot of myths, but also ways to bust those myths...

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Highlighted

The avoidance is a big problem in anxiety jesseka_grace - because anxiety can feel so yuck we (understandably) dont want to feel it so we avoid it (or try to), but that doesnt stop the problem, it can make it worse! 

When I grow up I want to beomce a professional anxiety myth buster! 

The third answer I’m going to give tonight is to the questions “Can having a lot of anxiety throughout the day or across the week lead to having suicidal thoughts or is this more leaning towards depression?” and “Everyday, I feel like I'm trying to crawl backwards & wish I could somehow climb out of my own head. Lucky me: I have ADD, PTSD, anxiety, panic disorder & depression! Do/will you bulk bill, if I can get a referral to see you?”

My answer

Having severe anxiety could lead to suicidal thoughts, and it can lead to depression. People often gets anxious about being depressed or depressed about being anxious. When people feel anxious (or depressed), it can be difficult to see a way out of this and you can feel trapped, and because they are not very nice feelings people want a way out so they might consider suicide. And to both of you - this is where you need to speak with someone (GP/Counsellor) to show you other ways of coping and that there are other options. Like I mentioned in a previous answer, the part of our brain that solves problems and helps us make good decisions isn’t working as well when we are anxious so we have trouble solving these issues on our own and its certainly not a good time to be making big decisions! 

And yes, I do bulk-bill services when people cannot afford to pay the fee and I’m based in Newcastle, NSW.

To follow on from that, the next question to you guys is what are some of the ways you can be a good support to a family member/friend with anxiety?

Haha, you'd be busy florenceforever!!!

The research tells us that when we are super anxious we cant talk ourselves out of it, it would be like talking yourself out of being scared while there's a big hungry tiger right in front of you. Your brain is designed to keep you scared in "dangerous" situations. When we are anxious people, we are seeing a lot of stuff as dangerous. 

To follow on from that, the next question to you guys is what are some of the ways you can be a good support to a family member/friend with anxiety?

- Talk to them and let them know that I am there for them and that I've been through similar situations in the past

- Just be there for them - even if they don't want to talk about it, just hang out with them - watch movies, go shopping, etc

- I've gone with 2 friends to headspace intake appointments before to support them take their first steps in learning how to deal with their anxiety

That sounds like great support florenceforever.