cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [SPECIAL GUEST] Feeling anxious?

Great to be reminded of this, "The research tells us that when we are super anxious we cant talk ourselves out of it, it would be like talking yourself out of being scared while there's a big hungry tiger right in front of you. Your brain is designed to keep you scared in "dangerous" situations."

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

I think one way to help people is to just be there as support. In my experience just being there for a friend decisively and confidently gives them a greater sense that things will be okay.

Doesn't 'Fight or Flight' start because of all the adrenaline released?

Couldn't agree more Troy!

The adrenaline is all part of the fight/flight response. There's also "freeze" - where we are too afraid to move, and "feign" where our system can be overwhelmed and we faint so we appear dead to our "attackers". 

Helping a friend with anxiety doesn't have to be hard or complicated, sometimes all it takes is letting your friend know that you don’t think their worries are weird or stupid. After all, everyone gets anxious sometimes. If you click the link there are some practical ways you can help:

http://au.reachout.com/helping-a-friend-with-anxiety

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

I tend to do the freeze one and start stuttering or just stop speaking whatsoever in oral presentations.

Such a useful factsheet @Sophie-RO - I've referred back to it many times.

Highlighted

@Alikki, I really wish there was a way for us to de-evolve and lose this trait. Why did our great-ancestors every have to be fighting and animal killing warriors. It would of made our lives so much easier! haha

Nearly at the end - tonight has been great... Here's the second last Q - On the other hand of the last question, what are some things you should never say to someone with anxiety?

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com