cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [SPECIAL GUEST] Feeling anxious?

It's awful isnt it. Even though we "freeze", things are still going crazy on the inside and then we panic about that which makes it worse. Its important to remember that these are our body's way of protecting us, i.e. if there was a big bear near us and we didnt want it to see us freezing would make sense, it would help us to remain unseen by the predator. Unfortunately, our brain doesn't realise that public speaking is not a big bear!!!

Highlighted

Hahaha, I think my ancestors would have looked great in bear skins fighting off tigers jesseka_grace!!

what are some things you should never say to someone with anxiety?
- To just get over it.
-Everyone gets anxious.
- What would you ever have to worry about?, is my most hated phrase of all time.

Get over it
You'll be okay
Don't be a baby
Are you really worried about...
Do you think I care?

Ohhh yes - all so awful!!!!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

What is something you should never say to someone with anxiety?

I think its important to not say what they should not do, such as "stopp stressing out/ stop freaking out" as this evokes and enforces the image of 'stress'. 

Yes! so true Troy!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

On the other hand of the last question, what are some things you should never say to someone with anxiety?

- You'll be fine

- It's all in your head

- Stop worrying

- Just breathe

- It's not THAT bad

And to throw it out to all of you – what do you think? Where can you turn for help if you or someone you know was experiencing anxiety?

On topic of anxiety, Im going to finish studying as I have an exam for a core unit tomorrow.

Thanks @Alikki and everyone else! was very interesting Smiley Happy